Chapter 28

Jeremiah snapped the chain that secured the large double doors and tossed it aside. The aged wooden doors opened with a loud and hideous groan. Ignoring the "No Trespassing" signs posted at the entrance, the group entered the decaying, abandoned hotel. Jeremiah took the lead, followed by Grace and Dawn, and Jack and Scott took up the rear, Scott's hand firmly clamped on Jack's right arm as he pushed him into the ancient ruin. They cast their eyes on what was once the lobby of a sumptuous luxury hotel, now the victim of ages of neglect. Dust covered almost everything, like a jacket of grey soot. A sofa sat in the midst of the lobby, its black leather torn and faded. All around was quiet, as quiet as a grave, which this dilapidated building now was.

"Hello?" Jeremiah called out. There was no response save a resounding echo.

"And I thought this place looked creepy on the outside," Grace said.

"Yeah," Dawn agreed, "and does it seem to anyone else that it's colder inside this place than it was outside?"

"You have observed correctly," Jeremiah replied, "It is indeed colder in here. Much colder, in fact, with a chill that comes not from the obvious darkness, or any possible insulating effect of the brick edifice. No, this is likely supernatural."

"Ain't no likely about it," Jack said, "It's supernatural, all the way."

"Is that what you were going on about," Scott asked Jack, "when you were saying that rest here would elude us?"

"Maybe. But hey, you, me, and the big guy are all vampires, so it's no big thing to us. The girls, on the other hand?"

That did it. Dawn got right in Jack's face. "Oh, because we're girls, we can't handle a ghost or two? Is that it, you sexist bastard?"

Jack's eyes grew wide. Ghosts may not have scared him, but apparently Dawn's reaction did. "Whoa! Take it easy, Red! I didn't mean nuthin', honest!"

"Yeah, sure you didn't," Grace snarled. "Big, bad, Jack. Terror of the Portland House. Well, who's the terror now?"

"I'll tell you who the terror is," Scott said, "It's the guy with the remote control for those bracelets you're wearing. Remember those, Jack?"

"Aw, shit, Scott," Jack said, "You really don't have to remind me."

Scott's attention was suddenly grabbed away from Jack as he noticed movement on the main stairwell. He looked up and saw a cowboy dressed in a long brown duster, period clothing, and hat, looking down at them. Why Scott hadn't noticed him before was not immediately apparent to him.

"Oh, hey, guys, look," Scott said as he directed the party's attention to the cowboy on the stairs, "Looks like we're not the only ones who decided to get out of the rain. Hey, mister? We're sorry, we don't mean to be in your space here."

"Who are you talking to, Scott?" Dawn asked.

"The cowboy guy. There. On the stairs."

"What cowboy guy?"

"Him!" Scott pointed up the stairs toward the man, who then turned away from him. "That guy! The guy who is walking up the stairs, and... into the wall. Okay then."

"I am surprised that you did not recognize that man as a ghost," Jeremiah said, "I mean, after all, you were a ghost too, not long ago."

"Oh, and just because I was a ghost once, that means I know all ghosts? Really?"

"You just saw a ghost?" Grace asked.