Chapter 24

"Dawn!" Scott cried as he lowered the stricken young woman to the hard rock floor. He shook her vigorously and got no response, so he checked her pulse. It was slower than normal, but steady. "Really? You're that scared of bats?"

"Perhaps you should check her for a dart!" Jeremiah said.

He did, and what do you know, there was one, right in her thigh. Scott pulled it out and tossed it aside. "Yep, it's a poisoned dart. Shit. Well, that sucks."

"And now, we have an added burden."

"Yeah, don't we. We could leave her here!"

"Really, Scott? Leave her?"

"Well, we're coming back this way, and she isn't going anywhere!"

"Do I really have to tell you what a lazy and insensitive thing that would be?"

"I'm just saying!"

"Well, don't 'just say'. You must carry her."

"Me? Why's it gotta be me?"

"Because you are her betrothed! Besides, I'm already carrying the plasma cutter!"

"Okay, fine."

Scott picked up his unconscious fiancée and threw her over his shoulder. "I knew we shouldn't have brought you," he mumbled.

"That's enough, Scott!"

They then entered another carved basalt tunnel. This one was just like the others, long and boring. But Scott was glad for boring, as they'd just had a bit more excitement than Scott would have preferred. However, the tunnel was soon at an end, as Jeremiah opened yet another ironbound aged wood door.

"If I recall correctly," Jeremiah said, "We veer to the right."

"Why? Where does the hall straight ahead go?"

"I don't know! But it doesn't head to the House!"

"Okay, okay. I'm just wondering if maybe it leads to, like, a hidden treasure or magical amulet or something."

"Not likely."

"Well, it usually does in Dungeons and Dragons."

Jeremiah glared at Scott, who took the hint and shut up. He dutifully followed Jeremiah once again. This hallway was fairly short, coming to an end with another tunnel that headed to the left. Jeremiah stopped there as his ears picked up on a strange sound. Scott heard it too. It was an odd rumbling noise. Jeremiah peeked around the corner, using his torch to illuminate the new passageway. He then looked back to Scott.

"Snake," Jeremiah said.

"Oh, okay, it's a snake. Is it poisonous? Not that it would necessarily affect you and me, but Dawn certainly doesn't need any more poison in her bloodstream."

"No. It's not poisonous."

One snake, and yet Jeremiah seemed a bit unnerved. Scott didn't get it. "Okay, what kind of snake is it?"

"A big one."

Scott also took a peek down the hall. It ended in a large rounded chamber, artificially heated and filled with various forms of vegetation – and one big snake. This serpent was monstrous, much larger than any python or anaconda in existence. It seemed to take up half the chamber (and it was a big chamber). So far, thankfully, it did not seem to be aware of their presence.