Chapter 18

The traditional Tea House, hidden within the peaceful confines of the Portland Japanese Gardens, was otherwise unoccupied, save for a single man, sitting cross-legged on a mat of tatami, sipping from a cup of tea. The man looked to be perhaps in his fifties, with thinning grey hair. He wore a traditional black haori and grey hakama. He looked tranquil, completely at ease with his surroundings. The chirping of birds and gentle patting of raindrops on the timber roof were the only sounds that disturbed the man's meditations. That is, until he picked up on the approach of a single female subject who approached him from behind.

"What do you want?" The man asked in accented English without turning around to face the woman who had tried, and apparently failed, to exercise stealth.

Cressida huffed. "You're Morimoto, right?"

"I am. Who might you be?"

Masahiro Morimoto still did not turn, forcing Cressida to step around the man. It was unclear to her whether this was contempt, or if he simply did not care to be disturbed during his tea. "My name is Cressida."

"Ah. Yes. Cressida. I have heard of you. They say you are formidable. They speak highly of your, shall we say, unusual talent."

"Yeah, well, they ought to. Look, Mr. Morimoto, I'm sorry to disturb you while you're looking so zen there, but I'd like to talk to you."

Morimoto looked up at the succubus. "Do forgive me, where are my manners? Please, take a seat." He then pointed to the tatami mat directly underneath Cressida. Once more she huffed as she took a seat on the floor facing Morimoto. Morimoto sipped from his teacup.

"Anyway, Mr. Morimoto," Cressida said, as Morimoto put his hand up to silence her as he finished sipping from his cup. He then put the cup down in front of him.

"Please," Morimoto said, "As you were saying."

"Anyway, Mr. Morimoto, I've found out that you and I are both after the same target. Douglas Campbell."

"It would appear so, Cressida. Apparently this is due to your failure to complete your assigned task."

"Why, you smarmy tea-sipping son of a bitch! It was not due to any failure on my part, I..."

Again Morimoto held up his hand to silence the disrespectful succubus. "Wise is the hawk that hides its talons. Your anger comes from a distinct lack of humility. I would advise you to be cautious."

"Yeah, well, I don't need a sword, or throwing star, or nunchucks to kill you, now do I, Morimoto?"

"No, indeed, but you are not here to kill me, are you?"

"I'm hoping I won't need to. All I'm asking is for you to stand down. The Santa Muerte has asked me to bring Doug Campbell to him alive, and that is what I intend to do."

"Unfortunately, I do not answer to the Santa Muerte. I am under contract directly from Ramon Calderon. It is his desire that Mr. Campbell be killed."

"And I can't convince you to maybe work with me on this, can I?"

"When I accept a contract, I always see it through. I am quite sorry."

"And you're absolutely certain of this?"

"I have said so. Were I to go back on my word, how would that look to my potential clients? No, Cressida, I am sorry. Douglas Campbell will die by my hand."