Chapter 17

Later that same night, Jeremiah met Cressida at Ministry. Jeremiah did not ask where she'd been, and she didn't volunteer the information. She did not ask him for his evenings itinerary either, as she already knew the answer. Both of them had other things on their minds at that point, so the topic never came up. Neither did Jeremiah advise her of his next evenings' plans until they both had awakened, as Cressida noticed Jeremiah very obviously placing a few items in his knapsack. When he told her he'd be staying at Scott's place for the next couple nights, she of course understood the reason without needing to ask. The news, and Jeremiah's refusal to discuss his reasons, upset her – or, she seemed to be upset. Whether she really was upset, whether it was simply a cover, or whether it was a combination of the two could not have been knowable. Perhaps Cressida herself didn't fully understand her own feelings on the matter.

"It's only for a short while, Cressida, I swear, upon my honor!"

"Oh, like you swore you'd meet me in Petra after the Nabateans got me safely across the Sinai?"

"That is unfair, Cressida."

"Bullshit, it's totally fair. So, you're moving in with Scott Campbell for a while, but you're not interested in telling me why? Come on, Jeremiah, try being honest with me for a change!"

"Perhaps it is you who should be honest, Cressida. Honest with yourself, above all."

"Oh, god, here we go with the afternoon talk show psychobabble bullshit again, and all because the great Malek, excuse me, Jeremiah, thinks he has grown so much in the last few hundred years!"

If Cressida had intended to move her beloved to anger, she was certainly succeeding. "I have grown, Cressida, more than you could ever know."

"Whoopee!"

"And if that is the attitude you have toward me, then perhaps it is better if we part ways for a while!"

"Fine," She spat as she grabbed her gear bag, then headed out of Jeremiah's sanctuary toward the main floor of Ministry. Jeremiah followed her, still angry, and yet not truly wanting her to leave.

"Wait, Cressida, I'm sorry. I was angry."

"Don't be sorry, be angry. Be the vampire I remember. Be Malek."

"No! I have told you, Malek is dead. I am Jeremiah now."

"Yeah, I get it. Malek is dead. So are we."

Cressida stormed away from Jeremiah, heading up the stone stairs to the rectory. Jeremiah watched her leave. He hadn't noticed Kitty Weems sitting at a desk in the corner, sipping on a latte and chewing on a bagel.

"So," Kitty said, "Was she here all night?"

"Not that it's any of your business, Kitty, but yes, she was."

"Gee! Sorry for asking! I just... I guess there's still something between you two, isn't there?"

"Apparently not anymore."

"It's just kind of weird, seeing someone else here. Someone unauthorized, I mean."

"Write me up, if you so desire."

"No, Jeremiah! That's not... that's not what I mean. I mean, sometimes I forget that you're, you know..."

"A vampire?"

"Well, yeah, that, and a man with, you know, feelings. Oh, you know what I mean."

"Ah. I think I see. And I often forget that you are a woman with, you know, feelings."