Chapter 39

"Aaahhh!" Dawn cried, as she was suddenly awakened by the lumbering presence of the troll. "Oh, sorry, Canute."

"Quite alright, mum," The troll said, "I get that a lot. I am here to fetch Scott Campbell."

"Oh yeah, I guess that it's time, isn't it?"

Canute turned to Scott's cell. "Mr. Campbell? Are you awake?"

"I couldn't sleep," Scott said.

"I understand. It is time."

Canute opened Scott's cell door. Scott rose, then stepped out and went over to Dawn's cell. He reached through the open bars and took her hands.

"It will be alright," Scott said, "I'll come back for you. You know that, don't you?"

Dawn tried to hold back her tears. "And... and if you don't?"

"Shhh, don't say that. I will come back to you. No matter what happens, my love, I will always come back to you."

"I know. I love you, Scott Campbell."

"I love you, Dawn Rhinebeck."

Canute lead Scott past Doug's cell first. "So," Doug said, "you're actually going through with this."

"Yep, I am, and nothing you can say will stop me."

"What if I told you I hate you and you stink?"

"You're a better liar than that, Doug."

"I am, ain't I?"

"You know it. Hey, Doug? I wanted to apologize for the way I behaved towards you at first."

"Shh. Forget about it. It's nothing. Besides, this more than makes up for that. Anyway, maybe it should be me who should apologize to you for putting you on the spot like that."

"No, Doug. That's nothing to apologize for."

"Thanks, Scott. It means a lot to me." Doug choked back a tear, then puffed his chest. "Well, then, good luck, and remember that if you lose, well, so do I."

"I know. I won't need luck, but thanks anyway."

"Any time, brother."

The troll then led Scott by Grace's cell.

"Well, this is it, huh?" She said.

"Looks like. Guess you never thought you'd end up in a jail cell, now did you?"

"Not so much, no."

"We've come a long way, haven't we? I mean, since you first started stalking me."

"Oh, don't remind me!"

"I really wanted to win you over, not just to save my life – and let's face it, you were pretty scary with a stake!"

"Still am!"

"But I also wanted to win you over as a friend, because you're worth having as a friend, Grace. And not just because you're badass."

"Friends. I never thought I'd ever want to be friends with a vampire, but, here we are. Friends. Now get out of here before I get all weepy, okay?"

"Okay."

They then went by Jeremiah's cell. "Scott!" Jeremiah called.

"Yeah, buddy? I'm here."