Chapter 12

"Wait. What did you say?"

Scott remained at the door, not believing what he just heard.

"I'm your brother," the man said. "Well, your half-brother, anyway."

Scott engaged in one of his least favorite and yet most common pastimes – that of the awkward silence. He stared at this stranger and tried to process what he'd just heard, but could not quite put the pieces together.

"So," Scott finally said, "You're my brother?"

"Uh, yeah. Half-brother."

"I see. Could you excuse me for a minute?"

"Sure, I..." the stranger could not finish his statement as Scott slammed the door in his face. Scott headed to the kitchen, but stopped himself half way through the living room. He looked heavenward.

"Okay, dad," Scott said, "The next time I see you, we are so going to have a big talk!"

He entered the kitchen. Irene Campbell sat there, smiling at her son. "So," She asked, "Who was that?"

"Doug Campbell."

Irene seemed to be caught off guard as her smile faded. "Uh, who again?"

"He says he's my brother. My half-brother."

"Oh, my."

"'Oh my' what?"

She gave no answer. Not verbally, anyway.

"Oh, my god. It is true, isn't it?"

Still no answer.

"Isn't it?"

"Look," Irene responded, "Maybe... maybe you should let him in."

"So I have a brother? A brother I never knew existed? Seriously? And you knew about this? And you never told me?"

"It is true. And no, I never told you."

"Why... why not? Don't you think this is something I might have wanted to know?"

"It seems that you are not the only one who keeps secrets around here."

Ouch. Of course, this was not on the same magnitude as being a vampire, yet still, she did have a point. "Okay. Fine."

"Let the man in, Scott."

Scott left the kitchen, his mother right behind. He returned to the door, hoping the strange man would have taken offense at having a door slammed in his face and left. Scott opened the door only to have his hopes dashed.

"Uh, Doug, is it? Please, come in."

"Thank you." As he entered, he extended his hand. Scott at first hesitated, then took his half-brother's hand. "Wow, that's some grip you got there, Scott," Doug said as he rubbed his hand. "And you must be Irene, right?"

Doug also held out his hand to Irene, who politely, and less forcefully, shook it. "Why, yes, I am."

"You both must be kinda surprised, right?"

No! Me? Surprised? That I have a half-brother I never knew existed until now? What gave that away? "Uh, yeah, kinda," Scott said.

"I never thought," Irene said, "That I would ever meet you!" The elderly matron threw her arms around the stranger, and embraced him. "Come! Let's all go into the kitchen. I've got some coffee all ready!"