Chapter 35

The rumble of multiple vehicles approaching was soon detected by the vampires, even from within the Santa Muerte's compound.

"That sounds like more than one car, Santa Muerte," Scott said.

"Yes, but how? Calderon has never done this! He knows it is a blasphemy!"

"Yeah, he also sells drugs to kids and murders people. Go figure."

"Canute! Did Calderon tell you what he wanted?"

"No," the troll said, "he kept the conversation short. Don Calderon can be quite succinct."

"Very well. Attend the door, and do be gracious when our benefactor arrives."

The troll nodded, then left for the vestibule. As the Santa Muerte began to leave the room, Dawn went over to him.

"Santa Muerte," she said, "can we speak?"

"Very well, but please, make it brief."

Dawn drew the Santa Muerte away from the dining room, hoping they were out of the earshot of the other vampires. They weren't, of course, but Scott never had the heart to tell her otherwise.

"Do you really have to do this? Do you really have to fight my husband-to-be?"

"I am sorry. I truly am. But there can be no other choice."

"Why not? Why does this have to be the only choice?"

"Doug must pay the penalty of death, but as long as Scott has offered himself instead, I am obligated to respect that."

"So, you respect him by killing him? How does that make sense?"

"It is a matter of honor."

"Killing isn't honorable."

"Dawn, it is hard to explain, and I fear I may not be able to express it in an understandable manner, but let me try: a man's honor is his identity. It is what makes him a man. Without honor, what is a man? What would I be, without honor? Your fiancé, Scott, is an honorable man. He has proven himself such. To deny him would be to dishonor him, and I cannot do that."

"But you can kill him?"

"I do not wish to kill him, but if it comes to that, then I will. I do not doubt, however, that I myself could be killed. If that is my fate, then so be it. Either way, this is a matter of honor."

"There's got to be another way!"

"How, then? Would you dishonor what Scott has done by denying him the chance to take his brother's place? Would you deny him that which makes him what he is?"

"You're right. Scott is a man of honor. It's part of why I love him so much. But as much as I admire his honor, I'd rather have him alive."

"I know you would, as would I. Scott is truly a man most blessed, to have the love of one such as you. Still, this must be. I am truly sorry."

The mechanical growls of the approaching vehicles grew louder to the Santa Muerte's vampiric ears, so he excused himself from Dawn's presence and went to the vestibule, where Canute waited. Dawn returned to the table. Scott noticed she was downcast.

"Thanks for trying," he said. "But Dawn, I've got this! Really, I do! You guys trust me, don't you?"

No one responded. The entire table was silent.