Chapter 14

Doug was already on his second beer by the time Dawn arrived at the Horse Brass, Scott's favorite pub in Southeast Portland. Scott noted that Doug wasn't standing on ceremony as he downed that pint right as Dawn joined them at the darkened corner table. Both Doug and Scott rose when the young beauty walked up to the table. Scott greeted her with a kiss.

"Wow," Doug said, "So this is the fiancée!"

"And you're the brother-in-law to be!" Dawn replied as Doug took her hand and kissed it in a gentlemanly fashion. Doug then elbowed Scott in the ribs.

"You didn't tell me she was hot! And young! What, robbing the cradle, are we? Not that I'm one to judge!"

"Uh, Doug?" Scott said, "Yeah, you're talking out loud."

"Now, Scott," Dawn said, "It's quite alright!"

"Yes, the young lady can take a compliment now, can't she?"

The three took their seats as a waitress came to the table bearing menus. She initially gravitated towards Scott, his vampiric charm naturally proving a draw despite his best efforts to deny it. However, upon seeing that Scott was obviously entranced by the lovely ginger by his side, she then gravitated, more logically, to the more physically attractive, if older, Doug.

"Wow, you made quick work of that porter," The waitress said, "So, do guys want something to eat?"

"Oh, absolutely," Doug said, "Give me the fish and chips, and Dawn, what will you have?"

"I'll have the chicken pot pie," She said.

"And Scott, what about you?"

Scott looked at the menu, also wishing that he could have the fish and chips. Oh, he still could! Of course, they'd taste like nothing to him, and they wouldn't satisfy his hunger, but he could still eat. Then again, it would be a terrible waste of money, and Scott didn't like burdening people unnecessarily. And then again, this was someone he didn't trust and wasn't sure he liked anyway.

"I'll have an order of the fish and chips too," Scott said, "Wait, there isn't any garlic in the recipe, right?"

Dawn, knowing as she did Scott's dietary issues, was curious as to why he'd do such a thing. "No," The waitress said, "There's no garlic in either the fish or chips."

"Great! I'll have an order!" Scott looked at Dawn and winked. Doug didn't notice that. The waitress, having taken the order, took off for the kitchen.

"So how'd you two meet?" Doug asked.

Dawn and Scott answered in unison, as though well-rehearsed. "Church!"

"Ah. Church people!"

"Yeah," Scott said, "We met at our church. I was a friend of the family, so I basically knew Dawn back when I was still married. Then came dad's death, and my divorce, and the Rhinebeck family really helped support me during that time. Eventually, one thing led to another, and here we are!"

Dawn nodded. "Yep, that's exactly how it went! Scott was in need of friends, and I was there, and like he said, one thing led to another!"

"'One thing led to another'? Well, here's to one thing leading to another! May it only lead to happiness for both of you!" Doug lifted a glass of water, until now untouched, since he was out of beer at this time. Dawn and Scott reciprocated.

"So, Doug," Dawn asked, "What brings you up to Portland?" Scott was surprised and somewhat relieved when Dawn broached the subject, as it came out as a natural topic of discussion rather than the start of an interrogation.