18

I woke to my alarm sounding, and groaned as I turned it off.

When I heard someone rummaging around in my kitchen, I suddenly remembered what happened last night. Luckily, I'd slept dead after the strange nightmare, although I was sure it was Ronan's presence that helped with that.

I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen. Ronan was just pouring tea.

"Morning." I said, but my voice was coarse. I cleared my throat a few times.

"Morning." Ronan said, bringing the tea to the sofa. "How do you feel?"

I shrugged. "Not too bad, actually." I said. "Last night just seems so surreal. Like it didn't actually happen."

Ronan chuckled. "I can assure you, it happened." He said, and rubbed his neck. I then gasped, and felt absolutely awful. The area where I'd unknowingly grabbed him was decorated with dark purple bruises.

"Holy fuck, Ronan." I said. "I'm so sorry."

I wanted to cry again, but didn't let myself this time. I had to be ready to go into work, and that wasn't going to happen if I started to cry.

"It's okay." Ronan assured me. "It wasn't your fault."

I just pursed my lips, and rubbed my tired eyes. "Have you thought of any explanation as to what happened, then?" I asked.

Ronan put his tea down. "Well, I have a theory of where you went." He said. "What with the Black Prometheum, I'd assume that you were in its realm."

"It has its own realm?" I asked, although I had wondered.

"Well, we think so." He said. "Nobody really knows, because nobody has ever been. But what you described to me last night- it sounds like it could have its own realm."

"And the darkness?" I asked.

"Well, I'm not totally sure." He said. "But perhaps when you banished it three years ago, that's where it went. I don't know how or why. But it's the only thing that makes sense at the moment."

I nodded, although everything still seemed a mess.

"Can you feel it?" Ronan asked. I knew what he meant.

I shook my head. "No. That's the strange thing."

Ronan rubbed his chin in thought. "Honestly, I have no idea. I might have to do some digging. Ask around."

I smiled. "Thanks. Anyway, I better get ready for work." I said.

"Okay, sure." Ronan said, finishing his tea. "I need to go and see Luke today, but call me if you need anything."

"Will do." I said. "Thanks."

And with that, Ronan vanished.

__________

As it turned out, work wasn't all about fighting rogue supernaturals. There was a theory side to it as well, and so when I turned up, I found myself having to write a report on what happened yesterday.

Just as I was finishing up, Stark came in.

"How's it going?" He asked.

"Nearly done, sir." I said. I'd been told by Tina that I should start getting used to saying sir and ma'am to all my superiors.

"Good." He said. "Tina is training today- I think it would be good if you joined her. I'm having Alex monitor you both so we can get some more test results from you."

"Okay, sure." I said. "I'll just finish this up."

Stark nodded, and then left.

About fifteen minutes later, I handed in the report and made my way to the training room. It wasn't the gym room, but the other one where I'd nearly been fired with lightning on my induction day.