one

Juniper Hartley, a sixth year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, rose from her bed in her Slytherin dormitory when the sound of yelling came flooding into her room. Groaning, she put on slippers and her robes, her Prefect badge shining slightly in the moonlight as she opened her door to yell at whichever students were making so much noise so late at night. The Slytherin common room and all its dark green furniture was only lit by the fire that was slowly dying, two girls yelling about at each other right by the couches.
    "You're such a bitch!" She heard one student yell.
    "No, you are! You knew I was seeing him and still whored around with him!" Another girl yelled.
    "Obviously he doesn't give a shit about you if he's going off with me then!" The girls were arguing loudly, causing heads to come around from the corners where the boys and girls dormitories separated.
    "Would you both shut it!" Juniper shouted loudly at them, her arms crossed over her chest, fury in her eyes as she just wanted to sleep peacefully without having to separate a fight every single night. The girls stopped talking quickly, looking over to Juniper, knowing their Prefect wasn't up for arguing. "Now, which one of you is going to tell me why you're all screaming at each other?" She demanded, motioning for them to join her in her dormitory so the rest of Slytherin house didn't hear the gossip.
    "She slept with a Prefect after knowing I fancied him." Pansy Parkinson pointed her finger toward a fifth year girl, Yasmine Danes.
    "Oh piss off, Pansy, we all know he doesn't give a shit about you." Yasmine barked right back at Pansy.
    "How about this: neither of you sleep with the bloody Prefect!" Juniper snapped. "Off to bed, both of you. Classes haven't even started yet and you're both causing me trouble already." She groaned at the two students. It was the third night at Hogwarts and already there was trouble coming from not only students, but her fellow co-worker. Juniper hadn't even met the other Prefect, he remained in his room, did his corridor rounds alone, and hadn't attended meetings with Professor Snape nor the Head Boy and Head Girl. She was amazed he was even allowed to be a Prefect given how he had already screwed up by screwing the students.
    The two girls left Juniper's dormitory, leaving her alone again and the common room quiet. She got back into bed, going to sleep for what only seemed like minutes before she was woken by the sun. Classes began today and she wasn't necessarily ready to begin attending classes, but alas she was excited to begin again, knowing she'd enjoy it. Her mind was filled with worry though, worry because she was now a Prefect and that new title often made her wonder if her friends would continue to treat her the same, or if they'd be distant because she had some authority over them. Nevertheless, she pushed those worried thoughts from her mind as she went to the Slytherin Prefect's bathroom to get ready for classes.
    Juniper was pleasantly surprised to see the Slytherin Prefect's bath was empty, the other Prefect who barely took responsibility wasn't there, allowing her to have free control over the huge bath before class. After the bath, she dried her brown hair that fell into loose curls, applying light mascara to the thick lashes that covered her green eyes, and using clear gloss on her rose colored lips. She slid her robes on, fixing her Slytherin green tie and then left the bathroom to go to her first class: transfiguration.
    "Juniper!" She heard a familiar voice call her name. She stopped walking and turned to see her fellow Slytherin friend, Blair Williams. She watched Blair catch up to her in the hallway, both of them walking to transfigurations class together. "You weren't at breakfast this morning." Blair commented, it seemed as if a slight pout came across her face from the absence of her friend.
    "I was in the Prefects bathroom getting ready, you know I'm not one to eat in the mornings either, Bee." Juniper giggled at her friends pouting face. Bee had been a long time nickname for her friend Blair.
    "It would still be nice to see you, especially to get gossip on why Pansy and Yasmine were having a bitch fit in the middle of the night." Blair's cunning smile came through, showing that she wanted to hear so badly why Juniper has to yell at the girls.
    "I can't risk others hearing that, Bee, you know that." Juniper said quietly. "We'll talk about that in my dormitory later today." She gave her friend a wink, of course Juniper would tell her friend about it. Blair seemed pleased with answer, nodding her head swiftly as they took their seats in the Professor McGonagall's classroom.
    "I miss sharing a dormitory with you, but I love that you've got your own." Blair said quietly with a smirk on her face. The Prefects and Head Boy and Girl were allowed their own rooms in their houses, which was nice but Juniper did miss sharing a dormitory with my friends.
    "Alright, everyone, take out your books and turn to page eleven. Today we will be practicing the spell Avis. This is a charm that will produce birds." Professor McGonagall told the students as everyone opened up their books. Juniper sat there listening, taking detailed notes within her book at every small detail McGonagall mentioned. They were assigned homework already to bring in a roll of parchment on the incantation and how it could be useful, then they were dismissed from class, told they'll be casting the spell next time.
    "The first day and we've already got homework." Blair groaned as she and Juniper left the classroom.
    "We're sixth years, I'm surprised McGonagall didn't make it three rolls of parchment." Juniper tried to look at the positives within nearly everything, which proved to be difficult a lot of the time. She and Blair went to their next classes with some of the students in Slytherin house, their homework piling up a bit more.
    "The first day and we've already got transfiguration, herbology, and potions? Thank Godric Hagrid didn't assign any homework." Blair said as she and Blair got back to the common room.
    "Unfortunately for me, I have yet another meeting with the Head Boy and Girl and Snape, so now I've got to get this all done before then or else I'll never bloody sleep." Juniper sounded displeased and upset, justifiably so because she just knew her fellow male Prefect probably wouldn't show up tonight.
    "Oh look, here comes Pansy Parkinson with her hair looking like a birds nest." Blair remarked as Pansy came around a corner from the male Prefect's room. "Someone just got her shit rocked." Blair was laughing at how messy Pansy looked.
    "Who in the devil did Snape choose to be the male Prefect and why is he fucking anything that breathes?" Juniper questioned, sending Blair into another burst of laughter.
    "Is this what Pansy and Yasmine were fighting about last night? Did he sleep with both of them?" Blair asked her, causing Juniper to nod her head.
    "I expect there will be more arguments soon amongst other girls. Not like I can judge them when I was shaking up with Blaise throughout last year." Juniper shrugged her shoulders.
    "Has he spoken to you yet since he...you know?" Pansy asked slowly. Juniper shook her head no, Blaise Zabini had not spoken to her since they got back to school. At the end of their fifth year, their 'no strings attached' relationship came to an end when Blaise caught on feelings for her, something Juniper didn't feel the same about.
    "I reckon he won't either after I turned him down." Juniper said as she continued with her homework, finishing transfigurations and herbology quickly. Of course Snape assigned the most homework. "This man's a menace if he thinks he can assign his Prefects this much work before we have a meeting tonight." Juniper snapped quietly.
    "When's your meeting?" Blair asked her.
    "Directly after dinner. We've got to go over the rules for Prefects and how to punish students and where each house Prefect walks the corridors to check for students out of bed, boring stuff if you ask me. How hard is it to just give them detention?" Juniper rolled her eyes at the fact that she needed training to punish students for being out of bed.
    "Just copy my work if you don't finish by dinner." Blair offered to her, leaving her feeling grateful that her friend was always there to help. By the time they were meant to leave for dinner, Juniper was a little halfway done with the potions homework, agreeing to copy from Blair once she got back from Prefect rounds tonight. They went to dinner, the grand feast as it usually was always delighted Juniper greatly. Pansy Parkinson kept shooting dirty looks over to Yasmine Dane, which caught Juniper's attention as Yasmine sat close to her, prompting her to shoot a look over to Pansy to get her to piss off.
    "I'm going to go to the meeting with Snape, I'll see you in the common room later." Juniper told Blair as she stood from the Slytherin table.
    "Be sure to let me know the Slytherin Prefect that's shagging all the girls." Blair joked with her, making Juniper roll her eyes at her friend, but both of them knew as soon as she found out, she'd tell her.
    Juniper walked through the hallways towards the dungeons where they were meeting in Snape's classroom, but she walked a bit slow, taking her time to look at the portraits on the walls and out the windows as the grounds surrounding the castle. She was in no rush to get to the meeting, but when she got there she wasn't surprised that the male Prefect wasn't there. Snape wasted no time to go over the rules for each of the students, telling them what he expected and how much detention students got for various types of rule breaking. The meeting was interrupted when a boy walked through the potions classroom door, his white hair glistening in the light as all eyes turned to him.
    "So kind of you to join us, Mr. Malfoy. You'll have to ask your fellow Prefect who managed to be here on time about what you missed. Now, where were we?" Snape's deep and slow voice told the white haired boy as he went and stood next to Juniper, and that's when she realized it was Draco Malfoy who was already giving her trouble within the three days of being back at Hogwarts.