𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 ~ 𝘥𝘢𝘸𝘯 𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘭

Originally, the phrase 'dawn patrol' means a flight, especially during the early days of military aviation, undertaken at dawn or early morning in order to scout enemy positions. But when it comes to surfing, 'dawn patrol' is interpreted as the act of going out surfing at dawn.

It turned out, at four o'clock this morning, that Ed's way of making it up to me for last night was waking me up and dragging me out of my warm, comfortable bed to go surfing.

Don't get me wrong, I love surfing. But I also love sleep, and a girl's gotta have her beauty sleep, right?

"Skye?" Ed knocks on the side of my van before the sun has even risen.

I silently groan and roll over, wishing him to go away.

"Skye?" He knocks again, louder this time, "Skye? Are you awake?"

"I am now!" I yell, sitting up in bed.

Ed chuckles to himself, "Get yourself into your wetsuit; the waves are great out here."

"But it's still dark out!" I groan, flopping back onto the bed, hand flung over my eyes dramatically.

"Skye Jameson." Ed speaks again, sterner this time, "Get your cute butt out here right now, or I will break down your door and come and get you myself."

"Not Bessie!" I shriek and jump out of bed, flinging the side door open and glaring at the sexy god stood outside my van with a smug smirk on his face.

"Thought that would get you up." He laughed lightly, adjusting his board under his arm.

"Lemme get into my wetsuit." I roll my eyes and slam the door shut again.

It takes me around three or four minutes to drag my bikini and wetsuit onto my exhausted body, and, after a quick brush of my teeth and a quick wash of my face, I'm ready to go.

Jumping out of my van and seizing my board, I jog down to the ocean, where Ed, Sophie, Cole, Kai, and (surprisingly) Jessica are stood waiting for me.

The waves are awesome; this is the biggest I've seen them whilst being here, so a huge grin quickly stretches over my face.

"Hey everyone!" I smile widely at them when I reach where they're stood.

"Hey." Cole and Kai say almost in sync, and Sophie smiles a 'hi'.

"Have you ever been out on dawn patrol before?" Jessica asks, though not unkindly.

"Nope." I can't seem to stop smiling, "I've never ever been up this early, either. First time for everything, right?"

"Right." Ed confirms, winking at me, "C'mon then."

He grabs my hand and runs out into the surf, dragging me along with him, nearly yanking my arm off in the process.

Despite the magnitude of the waves, paddling out still easy, and my board glides through the choppy waters. I catch myself yawning widely as I sit up on my board.

Running my fingers over the top, I realise that I need to add some more wax after this session and make a mental note to do so.

"You good?" Ed asks me.

"I'm tired as hell." I roll my eyes, "But I'm still glad I'm out here."

"Enjoy it whilst you can." He looks out across the horizon, "There's a storm front moving in, and it's supposed to hit us in a couple of hours."

I move a bit closer to him, "Is that why you got me out here?"

"Nope." He pops the 'p', making me fixate on his lips... "I'm making up for yesterday—that's what today's all about."