20. Coincidence

Nishikata's POV

Letter writing is a tiresome job. Only if I have given some attention to Tanabe-sensei instead of Tak---. Uhh, why am I always thinking of her?

I got up to get a drink for me. It was already night time. After Kimura and others left yesterday, I began with this letter. I wrote so much that it looks like a short story now. It contains all the wonderful memories we have together. I hope Takagi keeps it as a memorandum of our friendship. If I come back someday, I hope she still remembers me, and we could relive these days. Enough for the future talks, I need to sleep now. So, I glanced at Takagi's picture one last time before moving into deep sleep.

*

I woke up late the next day. It was already 10 pm. When I moved to the kitchen to have some breakfast, I found a note from my mom saying that she is going to the passport office to print my passport and visa and she will be home by two. After eating my breakfast, I thought about taking my last walk around the neighbourhood. After all, I will be leaving tomorrow. It should be 11 now, so, Takagi shall be in school still. I can walk around freely and I must return before the school ends.

I went out. First, I went to the candy store, our vintage candy store. The sound of the wind chimes indicated a soft breeze flowing by. The weather was cool, so cool and silent. The sky was clouded, and the place was faintly lit by the small amount of sunlight escaping through the clouds. Somehow, it seemed the silence that comes before a destructive storm, which shatters everything in its way. But, I think that there is currently only one thing which cannot be shattered, and that is my heart. I sighed, smiling at the fact that I am becoming so apathetic. I should study philosophy, I guess.

Inside the store, I ordered a cup noodles. When it was ready, I played the song 'happier' in my phone and slurped my noodles. While listening to the song, I found that it's sometimes best to leave the person you love the most if you want him or her to be happy. In fact, I truly believe this. I do not like forcing someone in a relationship. Nor do I like to brag about my relationship to others. If instead of leaving, I would have made another girlfriend and alienated Takagi, it would actually have pained me more. Love is not only getting the physical presence. Love is made of sacrifices, making the person you love happy. I think, hurting the person you love because she does not love you back is not love, but jealousy.

After finishing my noodles, I paid the shopkeeper and said, "Thanks for giving me so wonderful sweets and memories. I shall remember you forever." I bowed to him.

"Why are you telling this out of the blue?" he said with a confused look.

"I will be leaving tomorrow for London."

"WHAT?!"

"Don't be surprised, but you will eventually come to know why. But please do not ask me because I cannot tell."

He nodded and said, with a warm smile, "then, I think I should bid you farewell. And also, as a farewell gift, I want you to take anything you want from here."

So, I chose some hello kitty candies for Takagi. I bowed to him once more and left. When I was about to turn, I saw the candy store one last time. All the memories were flashing in my mind, but I needed to move on.

Next I wanted to go to the school. So, I walked towards it when I arrived at the intersection. I guess, this intersection can make a lot of memories as well. I miss those days now. I walked forward, jerking off the ache in my heart. But god had more pain planned for me. When I arrived at the abandoned plot...Did I say that no storm can shatter my heart? If so, I take it back, because, what I saw made my heart go down to bits.

When I turned to face the abandoned plot, I saw that guy holding Takagi, so...so close to him, as if they were about to kiss. I heard the sound of an empty can but completely ignored it. I can see that they were staring at each other with big eyes. I was staring at them in awe. Why does it hurt so much? Why am feeling neglected and alone? I knew this was about to happen. Why am I not able to accept it? Why do I feel to just separate them and kill Mitsuo with my own hands right now? I had already made myself go away, why was I so angry?

I was slowly stepping back towards the middle of the road when I heard the horn of a car. I turned my head to see a car speeding towards me, honking as loud as he can. I was too startled to move away, so I just covered my face, not able to see myself die.

I heard the screech sound of tires rubbing against the road and I felt a slight push on my hip and the next thing I know, I was laying on the ground. Fortunately, I was not hurt. I got up, and saw Takagi instantly separated from that guy when she found that it was me, staring at me with wide eyes. I got up and wiped myself when Takagi came running to me, "Nishikata, are you Ok? I uh just..."

I sighed and bowed to the driver and said, "I am sorry, I was just inattentive and did not notice you coming."

"From next time, pay attention to the roads, it could have killed you."

I bowed and let the car pass.

"Nishikata, did you see anything?" said Takagi, with a frown in her voice.

I smiled and said, "What are you talking about?" I glanced at that guy, who was sweating heavily and lightly blushing and said, "Did I interfere in something?"

"No, no, please come here."

Takagi dragged me to that guy and said, "Nishikata, he is Mitsuo. He is a senior and has become a good friend of mine."

Mitsuo stretched his hands and said, "Yamaoka Mitsuo"

I shook his hand and said, with a smile filled with attitude, "Yuki Nishikata"

He smiled. I continued and said, "It's nice to meet you Mitsuo. I should get going; I have a class to attend. You people should continue. And Mitsuo, Best of luck." I gave him thumbs up like Nakai and started walking towards the road.

Takagi said, "What about your health? How are you an—"

"Let's talk about it in school. I will take tomorrow off and meet you the day next." I smiled and saw Takagi's face once more.

"Ok...Take care."

After I disappeared from the sights of them, I ran at full speed towards home. Forget school. I guess they have started to bunk classed to make out. I was crying all the way. When I got home, my mother was already there. She said, "Where had you been?"

"You said that you will be home by 2?"

"I have arrived at 2pm and you were not at home. I told you I will return home."

I asked, "2pm? But it should be around 12pm now."

"Just check your phone."

I opened my phone. It was really 10 minutes past 2pm. I ran to my room to see that my clock still showed 10. I figured out what happened. The clock stopped at 10 and I must have woken up at 12pm. The school ends at 1pm. I got out at 1 pm and reached the plot at around 1:45 pm. At least they were not missing school to make out.

Today, I came to know, that god takes test of patience. This was also one of them. What a coincidence it was. My last encounter with Takagi, gave me more pain than joy. And I have passed. I did not create a fuss about them and their relationship. I have accepted it all.

So, i have reached the official chapter 20. it has become a long journey for me. Lets see what Takagi has to say in the next chapter. After so long, Takagi's POV will come back.

Till Then

Stories_with_arka