22. What if

I want to thank TopRedNinja and hilmDeadpool1 for giving me this idea.

Also, thanks to MatsMarzalPoobson and Ballhandler2 for following me. I have 14 followers now!!

Takagi's POV

"Nishikata, is that you?"

Nishikata was standing in front of me, with his back facing me. We were in his room, but his room kind of seemed empty. All the books were gone. There was no book of 100% unrequited love. The room looked so gloomy. I again called, "Nishikata, please respond."

This time, Nishikata turned around. But, he has lost the charm in his face. He looked pale, tired and devastated. He was crying, as tears were streaking down his cheeks.

Not sure what to do, I said, "Nishikata, you look like a zombie" and started to laugh. But, Nishikata did not blush like normally. Instead, he gave me a smile full of regret and sadness and said, "Takagi, goodbye. Stay well. Hope we meet again." Saying this, his image along with the room slowly faded. I called with utter bewilderment, "Nishikata, please don't leave, I can explain, but he was already gone.

*

I woke up in my bed, breathing heavily. It was a dream, thank god, but I need to see Nishikata, NOW!

I got myself dressed and rushed to Nishikata's house. When I rang the doorbell, his mother opened the door. She was crying and had a hanky in her hands. When she saw me, I asked, "Where is Nishikata?"

She replied, "He has left for ever. He will never come back. Please forget him."

"WHAT!! Where? Why? When? How?"

"He left because of YOU! NOW PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE." She screamed and slammed the door shut. I was crying, for now, Nishikata has left for a dumb reason and his mother thinks that I am the cause of all this trouble. I am, in some way though. I slowly walked back toward my home, silently wiping my tears when I met Nakai and Mano on the road.

I said while sobbing, "Do you guys know that Nishikata has left his house suddenly?"

"We also know that it happened because of you"

"NAKAI!,"

"Don't blame him Takagi" Mano said, expressing how hurt she was in her voice, "Why did you say yes to Mitsuo? And when you did, why did you still want Nishikata?"

"I NEVER SAID YES TO HIM, I ONLY SAID THAT I WOULD LOVE TO BUT I HAD ANOTHER CRUSH, SO I CANNOT. AND THAT CRUSH IS NONE OTHER THAN NISHIKATA!"

"It's too late now Takagi."

Mano and Nakai left me alone on the streets. I continued my journey toward my home when I met with Kimura and Takao. I asked them, "Do you know that Nishikata left suddenly?"

"Yeah, I knew that. How could he be around you? You betrayed him." Kimura said.

"BUT-BUT"

"Please stop Takagi. He was a good friend of ours. He was your best friend; this was not expected from you, neither did he deserve all this."

They also left, making me regret more and more.

Next came Hamaguchi and Houjou. But they did not talk to me. Instead, they showed me how good a couple they were. They were enjoying themselves fully, as a couple. They were so happy. They passed by me, holding hands and smiling at each other.

Next was the Treo of Mina, Sanae and Yukari. They were gossiping among themselves as I approached them. I said, "Hey, do you know that Nishikata left suddenly?"

"What? But why and where did he even go? What happened to him?" Mina said overenthusiastically.

"That's the problem. I don't know where he is now, nor do I know why he left." I lied, but I need to hear it from others as well, if I was the real culprit or not.

"I think he was probably betrayed by someone." Sanae said giving me her usual cold look.

Yukari said, "Sanae, please don't be so rude. Takagi, I don't know where Nishikata went. But I had heard rumours that Nishikata might be transferring in order to escape you. He cannot see you dating another guy."

"I AM NOT DATING ANOTHER GUY. UHH! WHY DIDN'T I JUST SAY NO? THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IF I DID."

"Anyways, it's too late now Takagi, he is already gone."

I continued my walk and met Mitsuo. He was smiling with a bouquet of roses in his hand. He offered his hand and said, "Takagi, Nishikata is already gone, let's make up now."

I became really angry and pushed all his roses away, and slapped him hard on his cheek and said, "ONLY FOR YOU, NISHIKATA GOT HURT, MISUNDERSTOOD ME AND EVEN LEFT ME, AND NOW YOU ARE HERE TO STILL PICK ON ME. I THOUGHT YOU WERE A GOOD GUY, BUT I WAS WRONG, COMPLETELY WRONG. AND THERE WAS I WHO COULD NOT SAY NO TO YOU AT YOUR MOUTH DIRECTLY. ONLY IF I WOULD HAVE SAID NO, NISHIKATA WOULD STILL BE HERE. HURTING YOU IS BETTER THAN HURTING NISHIKATA.NOW GET THE HECK OUTTA HERE BEFORE I BEAT YOUR ASS TO NUTS"

He left me there and ran away from me.

*After 50 years*

I can see Nishikata lying on the bed. Somehow, 50 years had passed by. I had turned old as well as Nishikata. He had white hair now. There were patches and wrinkles in his cheeks. He looked old and feeble. I got near him and said, "Nishikata"

He opened his eyes. His eyes did not have that shine like before. It resembled a person who had gone through lots of hardships and miseries in his life. When he saw me, he smiled weakly and said, "Takagi, it's you." His voice seemed like a grandpa now.

"Yes, Nishikata, it's me. Why did you leave me?"

"Because, you already had someone."

"I did not have anyone except you." Then I told him the whole story about me and Mitsuo. When he heard it he said, "Looks like I am the one to lose this time as well."

"I had been waiting for you all this while." I tore up after saying that.

Nishikata rubbed my head gently and said, "It's too late now Takagi, my life is on the verge of seeing the end, I can feel it. But you still have a long life to lead. I am sure you will become happy."

Saying this, he started to breath heavily. I got nervous and said, "oh no Nishikata, what happened?"

He coughed, breathed heavily and said, "Takagi, I have always wanted to say this, but I am saying it now, I Love you, Takagi"

I replied, "I love you too Nishikata. I have always loved you."

"It's good to hear" his breathing became heavier and I said, "I will call the doctor"

I was about to get up when he gripped my hand and said, "It's too late now Takagi. Please stay with me."

"I griped his hand tightly and said, "Nothing will happen to you."

He smiled and suddenly his breathing increased. Then he said, "Thanks for giving me such wonderful memories. Goodbye Takagi."

Saying this, his breathing stopped and his body became completely still. He had died. I screamed, "NISHIKATA!!!!"

*

"NISHIKATA!!!" I woke up in my bed, again? I was breathing heavily and looking around my room frantically. It was morning and birds were chirping outside. To make sure I am awake, I pinched myself multiple times, and thankfully, I felt the pain. I need to meet Nishikata NOW!!.

The day has finally arrived for Nishikata to leave. Lets see if Takagi could stop Nishikata from leaving or her dream comes true. Stay tune to know.

Till Then,

Stories_with_arka