Chapter 10

It's Saturday morning and James and I are about to meet Damian, Kira, and Eva at the park.

"James do you have your mask?" I asked my brother.

"Yeah I do."

"Ok great."

"Do you need money?" My dad asked.

"That would be nice. We might get lunch after." I answered.

"Ok. Text me when you get home. I'm going to the Farmer's Market with Nancy, Ella-Rose, and Conner. When you guys get home we'll come back as well and we can all go swimming." My dad told me as we got out some money to give me.

"Ok cool. Thanks dad."

"Thanks dad." James added.

We got into the car and drove to the park. James and I walked to the playground and sat on a bench.

Me: "We're here. We're at a bench near the playground."

Eva: "Ok. Be there in 5."

I replied with a thumbs up.

"Thanks for coming James." I smiled at him.

"Yeah of course. I'm really excited to meet Damian and Kira."

"That's really sweet. You're a good brother." I told him.

"You're a good sister." He replied.

We talked for a few more minutes as we waited for Eva to show up.

"Hey guys." I heard.

"Eva!" I got up and hugged her.

"Hi Eva." James smiled at her.

"Hey James." She smiled back.

"Lynn, James, this is Kira and Damian. Kira, Damian this is Lynn and James." Eva introduced us.

"Hi Kira, hi Damian." I voiced.

"Hey Damian. Hey Kira." James said.

"It's nice to meet you Lynn and James." Kira replied.

Damian was playing with a rubber band that was on his wrist.

"Damian. Can you wave to them?"

Damian looked up at us. Like we had finally caught his attention.

"Wave Damian." Eva said again.

Damian waved at us. We waved right back.

"Good job Damian. Damian doesn't talk but Kira is really good at communicating with him so if you need to talk to him she can help you." Eva told us, mostly James.

"Hi Damian. I'm Lynn." I told him.

He smiled at me.

"This is my brother James." I said.

He smiled at James.

"Yes. We were wondering if you liked to play football. James brought a football with you to play with." I told him.

"I want to play football." Kira told us.

"Ok. Have you guys ever played before?" James asked.

"I've thrown the ball a few times with my uncle but Damian has never played." Kira answered.

"Ok. Let's go play then. Damian can I teach you how to play football?"

Damian nodded.

My brother walked away with Kira and Damian.

"Kira make sure he's paying attention before you throw him the ball ok?" Eva told her sister as she sat down on the bench next to me.

"I will. Don't worry so much Eva." Kira called back as she walked away.

"They are really cute." I said to Eva.

"Yeah. So is James. The fact that he's going to teach them how to throw a football is amazing. I can tell that Damian already likes him."

"That's great. So I have a proposition for you."

"Shoot."

"Well next weekend on Saturday Hayden's family is having a BBQ to celebrate her birthday and they told me that I could invite you guys. Mainly so you can get to know the girls more but also so Kira and Damian can make some friends and your dad and Melissa can meet new people here. Because I know you guys haven't met many new people here." I proposed.

"Wow. That sounds amazing Lynn. It's really sweet that you thought of us. I mean I'll have to ask my Dad and Melissa to make sure that it's ok but I think we can come."

"That's great. I'm really glad you guys could meet us today. I'm happy that I get to spend more time with you." I said.

"Me too." Eva replied. Our fingers were just barely touching on the bench between us.

Over the next 25 minutes Eva and I talked as our fingers slowly intertwined. Before I knew it we were full-on holding hands. And let me just tell you that I was freaking out.

Eva pulled her hand away from mine as the kids came back to us.

"Eva can we get ice cream. There's a guy right there?" Kira asked.

"Yeah I guess so." Eva answered. "Do you have your mask Kira?"

"Yes." She answered.

"Here Damian. Can you put this on?" Eva handed Damian the mask.

He put it in his face with Kira's help.

"We're going to get some. Do you want something Lynn? After all I do owe you." Eva smiled at me.

"Sure."

"What do you want?" Eva asked.

"Surprise me. Here James. You can get some too." I handed him some money.

"No no. It's my treat. As a thank you for teaching Kira and Damian how to throw the football."

"Ok. Thank you." James and I said.

Eva took everyone over to the guy with the ice cream cart and bought them all ice cream.

"Here you go babe." Eva said as she handed me the ice cream she got me.

I froze for a second before going to grab the ice cream.

"Thanks."

Thanks for reading.

- M.W.