Chapter 3 - Visit

I try to get out of Naomi's grip.

"Alright," I start. "I'm here! Let me go!"

Naomi does so and I hand the man at the stand my ticket.

"You can go now," I tell her.

"No," she says. "I've got to see you go through security and to the gate."

I roll my eyes before the guy hands back my ticket and then I roll my one suitcase behind me after I wave at Naomi.

I begin to take off my shoes as I turn back and meet eyes with a cross armed Naomi. Now I know there's no way I'm getting out of the terminal.

Let's go through my options.

I can miss the flight hang around in the airport for the night, sneak back home and pretend I'm in Spain. Except that will lead to me being shunned by my best friends and a sad Keylor waiting for me at the airport the night before his biggest match.

After I gather my things from security and head over towards the gates I still see Naomi waiting around so I decide it's best to get on the plane.

It won't be so bad after all, I made Keylor swear to me that he won't tell absolutely anyone that I'm going, and Keylor doesn't break promises. If he ever decides to, I hope this isn't the time.

I'm arriving the night before the match, he'll pick me up I'll stay over at his place, his wife and I will leave to watch the match and then I'll come back with her to their home and wait till he comes back to drop me off at the airport, that's it.

Now, here's hoping it all goes like that.

Hours later I find myself stepping into the airport in Madrid. I take in the familiar smell and shake my head.

I can't believe I'm here. What am I doing here?

All in all, Keylor just wanted some support and that's what I'll give my dear friend.

I walk slowly at first, fear pumping through me as I imagine Toni, Marcelo, Iker, and maybe even a sad James waiting for me right next to Keylor. Then a wave of even worse fear rushes through me. What if it's just James?

I find myself turning the wrong way at the thought, towards the ticket booths to get a ticket to a plane ride that'll take me back home.

"Kat!" He shouts.

I bite my lip and turn around.

"This was a mistake," I shake my head as I bury my head into his chest.

Keylor just begins to laugh at me before taking my suitcase.

When we get to his car I give him a tight hug for keeping his promise, he has never let me down.

"Are you hungry?" He asks after we talk about the flight and abusive Naomi.

"Isn't Andrea cooking?"

"Yeah, but I thought you could do with some fast food. You haven't had your favorite from Spain since before you left."

"I'll go tomorrow," I frown. "Thanks."

I ask how everyone is. I asked about his family of course, but he trailed off into his teammates and all he can say is that they all miss me, they as in the gang, but James especially- how he's been a shut in.

When we arrive at his place I greet his wife, Andrea, and his step daughter, Daniela, whom I haven't seen in months since every time I came over she'd be in bed and finally their son Mateo, who is almost two and is now forming sentences, which brings a smile to my face.