Chapter 28 - Promotions

"No sign?" Neymar asks. "What is this disgrace?"

"You know how New Yorkers do it," I smile and hug him as he inches closer.

"Hi, Kat," he smiles.

"Hi," I smile back. "Let's go."

We made our way through the busy terminal at JFK and made it, fairly slowly what with the crowds of people, to the parking garage.

"Thanks for picking me up," Neymar sings as we get into my car.

"Anytime," I smile and turn the ignition on. "Where to?"

"I have no idea," he shrugs.

"Where are you staying?" I ask. "The Plaza again?" I add as I drive off.

"Yep," he smirks. "But let's go out to eat first."

"Alright," I comply. "What do you have in mind?"

"Moroccan," Neymar jokes.

"Of course," I laugh. "Why do I even ask?"

We went over to my place instead of any restaurant and ordered some pizza and a bunch of sides. I had recorded an Atlético match from earlier and thought that tonight would be a good opportunity to watch it.

We've been talking about the team and Barcelona in general. I ask about Davi and Carolina of course, his family and friends- how everyone is doing. So far, he hasn't said a word about James.

"Last slice," Neymar points at it.

"Yours," I say.

"You sure?"

"Yep, I call the last bread stick," I reassure him. "So, what type of business are you here for?"

"Nike," he says. "Again. They want some shots of the skyline and the new cleats, something about a rooftop, I don't know," he shakes his head. "I'm going to Los Angeles a couple of days after that."

"Why a couple of days?" I inquire.

"I made time for you," he says and looks over at me.

I look back at him and begin to laugh.

"Why is that funny?" He asks and begins poking me at my sides.

"You're so cute," I keep laughing.

"Thank you," he says. "You're not the first person to say that though, it's kind of lost it's effectiveness."

"Idiot," I mock him and get up from the couch.

"How's life, Kat?" He asks as I walk over to the kitchen to get another drink.

"Life is good," I reply. "Monopoly is better."

"Ha!" He exclaims. "You're not funny."

"I know, I know," I chuckle. "Life is good, I can't complain."

"What's going on with you and James?" He finally, and eagerly, asks.

"We're on a, uh, break," I start to nod in order to reassure myself and and my wording.

"What?" Neymar turns to face me in the kitchen as I bring over another can of soda.

"Yeah," I say. "I felt like we were rushing things just a bit."

"I'm sorry," he says.

"Don't be," I smile as I sit back down on the couch. "I'm good. How about you?"

"I've been making more of an effort to make time for Davi," he tells me. "I've been thinking about what you told me last year."

"Good," I tilt my head back. "He loves you very much and I know he is the most important person on this planet to you, I just want to see you both very happy."

"All jokes aside," Neymar puts his hands out. "Kat, you are quite possibly the most unselfish person I have ever come to known. You're just a beautiful person. I'm happy we met."

"I'm more than happy that we met," I put my can of soda down on the coffee table then throw myself on him and hug him. "I love you."

"I love you," he strokes the top of my head.

"I'm sorry we didn't work out," I sigh.

"I'm sorry, too," he sighs with me. "But, we had a really, really, good run."

"We did didn't we?" I look up at him and smile. "We were a power couple, let's be honest."

He begins to chuckle and his laugh sends vibrations through his chest then to me and I chuckle back.

"I know we're through and at a good spot," I say, admiring the absolute absence of any tension whatsoever. "I just wanted you to know that I want you and Davi in my life, always."

"We'd like that," he says and leaves a kiss on my forehead.

"Hey," I sit up. "We almost kissed at Oscar's birthday party."

"I thought we weren't talking about that," he begins to laugh.

"No," I shake my head. "That's cause I was with James."

"How long has it been since you guys parted ways?" Neymar asks.

"Over two months," I say. "Almost three."

"Technically a year," he begins to smile. "It was New Year's three weeks ago."

"So funny," I roll my eyes at his lame joke. "I think it's fine to talk about it now."

"Why would you lean to your right? You never lean to your right?" He shakes his head.

"Why do you remember? I lean to my right sometimes," I defend myself.

"You're lucky I'm quick enough to-"

"If you were quick enough we wouldn't have had this incident," I interrupt him.

"No, no," he disagrees. "If I wasn't quick enough, we would've kissed. Nothing bad about that though..."

"Well, not now," I say as I shrug.

"Aha!" He exclaims.

I smirk at him and sit back up and look at the television. "When do you leave for LA?"

"Six days."

"Okay," I nod. "How long are you in Los Angeles for?"

"Two weeks."

"Why so long over there?"

"I wanted to get to know the city," he says.

"Got it," I nod. "So, you leave the fifth?"

"Yep," Neymar says and the commentator begins to cheer immediately.

"Gol," we both sit up and cheer.

We watch the replay intently since we missed it.

After the match we stay up and watch a couple of episodes of a television show we both watch, then he heads to the Plaza and we agree to meet up the next day at the Nike Headquarters like last time.