Chapter 40

Time was now 11:45Am, Ananya and Nikhil were outside the prison waiting to be called in, Nikhil didn't want to face Shreya therefore he opted to stay outside and decided to wait while Ananya is talking to her. Finally Ananya was called by a police officer, the police officer direction Ananya to Shreya's cell. Shreya was laying on the floor looking totally different to how she looked before, the beautiful Shreya who once everyone had admired was no more, this person in front of Ananya was a totally different person, she was unrecognisable but only Shreya is to blame for the state she is now, she is now suffering for her deeds.

Ananya cleared her throat just to get Shreya's attention. Shreya lifted her face and looked up to see what it was, Shreya was beyond shocked, she had never expected Ananya to visit her even though she had requested it to be her final wish. Slowly Shreya lifted herself from the ground and walked more closer to where Ananya was standing. A tear streamed down Shreya eyes "I know saying sorry won't even make up 1% of what I did to you Anu or even when I'm going to be hanged tomorrow I know even that won't make up for your loss" Shreya said genuinely.

Ananya didn't say anything she remained expressionless. Shreya then continued and said "I am going to die tomorrow, for my soul to rest in peace Ananya I want you to say that you've forgiven me even if you haven't just say it for my peace otherwise even in hell I won't get peace". Ananya stared at Shreya this time not removing her gaze but seeing Shreya face soften up Ananya's heart, afterall compassion is the last thing Ananya can show to a person who doesn't have long to live.

Ananya didn't want to hold any more grudge towards Shreya afterall she is giving away her life as a consequence of her actions. "Shreya if I be honest there was a time when I absolutely despised you but today after I've seen you my anger and pain has melted, even though it hasn't melted fully it has melted to an certain extent that I am able to forgive you genuinely, If I don't forgive you even I won't be able to live at peace" Ananya said trying really hard to smile.

Shreya broke down hearing what Ananya just had said, Ananya definitely had a big heart to forgive Shreya. "Thank you Anu!! My prayers will always will be there for you." Suddenly Shreya noticed sindoor on Anu's forhead and her manglasutra resting on her chest but she didn't ask Anu anything. Instead she requested Anu one last thing "Anu Nikhil might have told you that I have given birth to a baby boy called Arjun, he is in St.Thomas Orpgange now, if you have time please do visit him whenever you have time so my child won't grow up as an orphan. If possible please don't ever tell him about his mother, I don't want my child growing up knowing his mother was a criminal. If you ever feel like he is going to be a burden then never mind Anu, don't bother visiting him." Shreya pleaded to Ananya, after staying in silence for few seconds Ananya said "Don't worry about Arjun". Ananya assured Shreya.

Soon Ananya left and went upto to where Nikhil was. She looked at Nikhil coldly and said to him " can we go to St Thomas Orphanage from here ?" Nikhil understood why Ananya had requested to him to visit that place. Without asking her further questions Nikhil agreed to it.

Soon they set of, neither or them spoke anything in the car, they maintained silence. Finally the car came to stop in front of a house, it did not look like an orphanage at all. "Nikhil why are we here ? This does not look like an orphanage at all ". "Come with me" Nikhil said and opened the doors for her.

When the went inside the house they were welcomed in by Tina (the lady who used help out at Nikhil house).

"Tina ma" Ananya said and hugged her and after asking about each others well being Tina ma went into and room and came out holding a cute little toddler's hand. "Is this your grandchild Tina ma ?" Ananya asked her curiously.

However, Nikhil answered Ananya's question. "This is Arjun, Shreya's child". Ananya froze again and stood there looking at the child clulessly.

"Arjun is under my care now, I haven't legally adopted the child but I'm Arjun's guardian. Tina ma is looking after him for me." Nikhil said and waited a second for Ananya's reaction. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier Nikhil ?" Ananya asked him in a very cold tone. .

"Arjun was one of the reasons why It took me a long time to confess my feelings to you, I didn't know if you'd accept him, I wanted to eventually adopt him but I'm not going to do that anymore but I want your permission for me to me to be Arjun's guardian." Nikhil paused after saying this and took a deep breath. After taking the breath he continued "why does Arjun have to suffer Anu for what Shreya did ?  Arjun didn't choose to be born as Shreyas son. My heart didn't allow me to leave Arjun in that state Anu that why I bought Arjun from that orphanage and requested Tina ma to look after him."

Ananya looked at Arjun's innocent face, he resembled Shreya a lot. "Your right Nikhil what did Arjun ever do to us ? Only a person with a big heart like you can do something like this...
I'm ok with you being Arjun's guardian Nikhil but i don't know about adoption that's completely up to you". Ananya said.

..................................................................
Hope you all enjoyed this short chapter ! I didn't have enough time to write a longer chapter that's why I did a short one ❤

How was this chapter ?

Will Nikhil adopt Arjun ?

Next chapter will be the epilogue ....

Thanks for your support and encouragement !