Prologue

In the Spring, before my April birthday, I had made the big decision to move to New York City from my little, comfortable home in Portland. I made the decision because I wanted to get into the fashion business and there's no place more fashionable than New York City, that's a fact.

That's besides the point, moving to New York was a dream but I never thought about how lonely it would be to leave my family and friends, then uproot to a city that is filled with strangers. Don't get me wrong, New York is beautiful, but when you're alone it doesn't seem as wonderful as I anticipated.

I live currently on the outskirts of New York, in New Jersey, but I'm only a subway ride away from where I'm destined to be. Right now, New York City is not affordable for me at all.

Since I've been in the area I've discovered some hidden gems about the city, one of them being the bar inside of Jensen Hotels, a very expensive hotel chain with the headquarters being right here in NYC. Jensen Hotels is far out of my price range, but they have an amazing bar on the lobby level that I stumbled across and I happened to come by often after work.

Unfortunately, I don't have a job in the fashion business right now, but at least I'm one step closer to making that dream real.

After another shift at the bookstore, I found myself walking into Jensen Hotels, again. It's 6:30pm and after the day I had, maybe a little bit of alcohol will make it seem a little better. I'm extremely discouraged with where my life is at, this place is turning me into an alcoholic. But who's complaining?

Still wearing my uniform from work, which includes a white blouse, black pants and an old brown apron to keep my notepad and books, I walk into the bar. Having become a regular recently, the bartender smiles when he sees me.

"Avery, the usual?"

I nod my head, "Thank you, Brandon."

As I take a seat at the bar, I tuck my hair behind my ear and take a book from my apron, one that peeked my interest. I had read it when I was in high school, something that seems like a lifetime ago, but I had loved it so much I wanted to relive the nostalgia once more.

"The Outsiders," The male voice next to me says, seeming impressed, "I haven't seen that movie in years."

"The novel is better," I point out, opening the book to the page I had left off.

The man shrugs before taking a sip of his drink, "I wouldn't know, I prefer films to novels."

Films? Who calls it films nowadays? I try not to laugh but I can't avoid the smirk on my face. This guy said the most grandpa thing. Without looking at him, I reply, "You're missing out, then. Nothing can compare to the original work, even if the movie does have Patrick Swayze and Tom Cruise."

"You didn't even acknowledge the outstanding performance from Ralph Macchio. And you call yourself a fan of this? I beg to differ," He chuckles, sipping his drink again. Is this guy really challenging me?

I set my book down, quickly turning to face him, "Excuse me, but I--"

When I come face to face with the man, I stop in my tracks, not having expected him to be so attractive. With dark hair and bright blue eyes, I feel stupid for arguing with such a good looking guy over something so silly, but I also know part of me feeling like that is because I've become shy by his appearance. 

"Yes?" He asks me.

"You're right, Ralph Macchio did amazing in the movie."

He seems like he's about to speak but Brandon, the bartender, brings me my drink and sets it in front of me, "Here you go."