Chapter One-Single Dad.

~~Kerrison's point of view~~

~~Present day~~

I didn't sign up for this.

I can't do this.

No, I have to do this.

I have a way to fix it.

I never thought this would happen to me well to us. We were supposed to be together forever, forever ended when she got in a car and drove drunk. I knew when I married her; she was a partier. I thought when we had the baby; it would slow her down. It didn't; she got worse. She stayed sober while pregnant.

I married her because the image was "right." It didn't take long for me to fall in love with her. I was able to handle the partying for a bit. I never drank as she did. I knew she loved me too. It was crazy. She was a model, and I was just her bodyguard. She kissed me drunk one night, and a trash magazine caught it. Her manager insisted we get married and play the part. Neither of us knew it would work.

Five years in, she wanted a baby. I was willing our marriage was successful; we were successful. My business grew because of her. I would be a nobody without her. I am not famous by any means, but when the rich and famous need protection, I get the call. I no longer go on detail, but I run the day to day and put bodies with the right detail.

Being a single dad was never in my plans. It's here now, and I have to handle it. Sierra has been gone for six months. Kyzer is still a baby; he isn't even one yet. I loved Sierra, but I knew she was cheating. She didn't start until after she had Kyzer. It didn't matter what she did as long as she came home to me. Except she didn't come home one night.

She told me she was going out. I let her go. I was a dad, and Kyzer was still an infant. I sent my best guard with her. Little to my knowledge, that was who she was having an affair with. He let her get away with everything; she was drunk and fought him for the keys; he gave in and gave them to her. She was killed on impact; he survived with just a few broken bones; he is no longer my employee.

My office door opens, and Karter walks in. Karter Clifford is my best friend. He is also a private investigator. He picks Kyzer up out of his playpen and sits down. I laugh. This monster of a man with my child in his arms. Kyzer looks so tiny in his big hands.

Karter: "I heard you needed me?"

Kerrison: "I do."

Karter: "For?"

Kerrison: "I need your help finding someone."

Karter: "Who?"

Kerrison: "Kyzer's mother."

Karter: "Look, man, I know it's hard, but Sierra is gone. We can't bring her back."

I knew this would be hard. No one but Sierra and I knew that she wasn't his mom. Yes, she carried him and delivered him, but we had to go the egg donation route. Her eggs weren't strong enough. My sperm a stranger's eggs, it took on the first try. We were ecstatic. We also agreed to never speak of it.

Kerrison: "I know Sierra is gone. It's not her I am looking for."

Karter: "What are you talking about?"

Kerrison: "Sierra had issues from alcohol. Her eggs weren't viable. We tried for years to have a baby. It never worked. She insisted we go through all the testing; my shit was good; she wasn't. Sierra didn't want to do adoption, the doctor suggested egg donation. We paid a shit ton of money, and you are holding the results."