to the mountains

/this chapter is a flashback/

"I think it's nice we're going on a family vacation but this thirteen hour drive is not sounding fun right now." Luke said to me as we loaded our bags into the back of my dad's truck. 

"Come on, road trips can be fun. We can write while we drive." I laughed pulling the tail gate up to close it. 

"Think of how much we could be practicing this week. We can't practice without Alex and Reggie." Luke sighed. 

"No, we can't. But we can write tons of new songs that we can practice when we get back." I leaned against the back of my dad's truck and looked up at the boy with his hair disheveled all across his forehead. 

"I just feel like we could do so much with our time, you know. Stuff to help our career." 

I reached my hand up and placed it against his cheek, "Hey. You work so hard all the time. It won't hurt to take a break. It could be good for us." 

He rested his hand over mine and gave me an understanding smile, "You're right. It could be good for us. But hey, it's not just me putting in the hard work." 

"Well, it certainly isn't Bobby." I laughed and moved my hand to the brim of his beanie, pulling it down over his eyes.

"Are you guys ready?" My mom asked as she and my dad came down the steps followed by Emily. Mitch, unfortunately, wouldn't be joining us since he had lots of work to do at the office. He had been hinting that he probably wouldn't be able to get off of work, but we had hope that he'd be able to pull something off last minute. 

My mom and Emily sat in the front seat, while I sat in between my dad and Luke in the back seat. Just as soon as we began driving, Luke and I were looking over each other's shoulders every few minutes to see if we had come up with any new lyrics in our journals. 

The drive seemed pretty miserable, just as you'd expect, but we made it in one drive since all of the parents took turns driving. We did stop for snacks and bathroom breaks, but that was it. We arrived pretty late to the resort we were staying at in the mountains of Colorado.

Layers of white snow covered the ground and the rooftops of the resort that was decorated head to toe in Christmas decorations.  If there was a spot for something Christmasy, it was there. The resort was surrounded by mountains which was scattered with tall evergreen trees peaking through the snow. The resort was perched on a high hill that overlooked the town and a lake with more mountains behind it. It was honestly a sight straight out of a cheesy Christmas movie. I wouldn't mind living up here if it weren't so cold. 

After a long and deep sleep after arriving to the cabin on the resort we were staying in, Luke and I were ready to run off and explore the town of Aspen, Colorado, just as teenagers would be. The parents dragged us around on a hike, that absolutely took the life out of Luke and I. We could be pretty athletic when we wanted to be, but hiking and the outdoors? Yeah, that wasn't us.