cold in california

/this chapter is a flashback/

Sunset Curve were currently huddled up in the Taylor residence, all together in Jade's room. They had planned their annual beach day even though it was a little too cold to swim. They loved going down to their secret hideaway on the beach no matter what the weather looked like outside. 

Jade had just entered the room with her homemade face mask her and her mother do every week. It was made up of hot water, oatmeal and honey. The actual health benefits of this particular mask were probably close to none, but her mom had been doing it since before Jade was even born and her skin was flawless. 

"Alright boys, who's first?" Jade asked as she sat on her bed with large bowl in her lap. She set it down next to her and waited for one of them to lay down. 

"Me first!" Reggie exclaimed as he jumped onto Jade's bed. He lay down and placed his head right in Jade's lap. She pulled his hair from his face and began to lather the home remedy all over his face. She then grabbed her tweezers and began to pluck his eyebrows, not without him whining every time she pulled a hair from his browline.

"Reggie, if you don't stop flailing around your eyebrows are gonna be uneven." Jade expressed her annoyance with the pale boy, considering she knew if his eyebrows came out lopsided, she would be to blame, even with Reggie flailing around like a bird with a broken wing. 

"Jeez, when you said beauty hurts I didn't believe you until now." Reggie said sitting up once Jade had finished touching up his eyebrows. Jade snickered at the cotton headband Reggie was using to push his hair back and how sweet he looked with the face mask on. 

"Next." Jade said and Alex happily climbed onto the bed just as Reggie did, placing his head in her lap. Jade reached for another headband which Luke happily handed to her. She put it over Alex's head and pushed back his blonde hair. 

"Do you guys think it's bad that we don't hang out with Bobby anymore?" Alex asked as Jade began to carefully lather the face mask onto his skin. 

"I mean, we ask and he doesn't really want to. I think he feels left out because we kind of only talk about band stuff." Jade replied. 

"Yeah. His parents don't like us, they think we're bad influences or something." Luke added as he flipped through one of Jade's copies of Tiger Beat. 

"Yeah, because face masks and Friday beauty night is such a bad influence." Reggie huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. 

"I feel bad that he had to leave the band, but it's like he expected us to stop just because he couldn't go on anymore." Alex folded his hands together on his chest, sitting still while Jade began to pluck his bushy eyebrows.

"I can't believe you let them get this bad, Alex." Jade sighed. 

"In my defense, we haven't had Friday beauty night in a really long time, it's not my fault." Alex fired back defensively causing the remaining members of Sunset Curve to burst into laughter at his sensitivity.