Chapter 1: What They Always Wanted

A/N: Btw, if you have a book club/ reading assignment with me, it's not this book, it's the one that says Book 1.

4 years later...

It was a blissful Sunday afternoon. The kind where they were birds perched together on branches, squirrels scurrying along with the emerald-jeweled grass, and the kind where Mariana and Micah decided to spend time with their two kids, peacefully seated down with the family that they always dreamed about.

Their oldest was their two-year-old daughter, Elisa, who kicked a ball around. She wore a black shirt, blue jeans and was a replica of Micah's face, with her light-skinned complexion, brown eyes that glowed like fiery embers when the sun touched them, and her matching hair was in two space buns, two plaits, decorated with gold cuffs.

Mariana gave sandwiches to their one-year-old son, Axel, who was strapped in his little chair on a blanket. He was fair skin, with freckles dotted around his nose and rosy cheeks. Dark chocolate eyes roamed around, and a head full of springy, toffee coils that ruled freely around his head. He ate his food, but he was making a mess all over his shirt.

Elisa suddenly came running back, waving her hand in front of her. Her feet trotted around the blades in her sneakers.

"Daddy look, I found a wadybug," she said breathlessly.

"Aw, it's so pretty. Where did you find it?" He held her petite hand inside his, listening to her carefully.

"There!" With her free arm, she pointed towards a great tree that stood tall and ancient. The leaves were like a ball of hair that made it look majestic and stood out from the smaller trees.

"Are there more ladybugs, or is that the only one?"

"Um... I don't know," Her little shoulders shrugged. "Only this one."

"Ah, I see. Why don't you go show Mommy?"

"Okay!"

Mariana's eyes sparkled at his words as her eyes fell at the pair. He was seated opposite her on the blanket and looked roughly the same, with that handsome full beard, his hair trimmed down and shorter than it was.

Whereas her face was more defined and sharper. Her cheeks were rosing with happiness; she had gained some weight in certain areas which also made her chest puff out more.

Elisa then came towards her. She stumbled along and watched her tiny hands that held the little insect inside, her eyes full of glee like it was a precious little egg.

"What is it my baby? What do you want to show me?" Mariana gently pulled her in as her face lit up with an inviting smile.

"This mama." She snuggled up next to her, resting against her chest. Mariana could feel the heat that radiated off her hair, making it shine in the light.

"It looks nice, sweetie."

"I think... I'm gonna name her... Dot." Elisa smiled brightly as if she just discovered something amazing. "Yeah, Dot!"

"I think that's a good name, honey." Mariana said as she caressed her daughter's laid edges that were like graceful sea waves.

"What would you name her, Mommy?" Elisa looked up. Her glossy eyes, innocently searching for an answer, either from her or in the empty, blue sky above.

Mariana's heart melted. She sniffed and couldn't resist pulling up a smile. Sometimes the cuteness overwhelmed her, and she couldn't believe that this girl was hers.

"I don't know. Maybe something to do with its color. Do you remember what color that is?" she asked, pointing to the tiny creature that slept in the palm of Elisa's hand.