Chapter 9: Development

When the flooring was all done, the workers decided to work the kitchen of the empty restaurant. Micah was delighted that he was now able to walk through the place comfortably with Jay, Miss Anderson, and Ms.Davis. They were inspecting every room to make sure everything was in good order.

The floors radiated a reddish-brown with a shiny gloss covered on top. When he would get the lights installed then hopefully they would be even brighter.

"Okay so it looks like everything is done and now we can start with the kitchen," Jay said, flipping through his notes.

"Alright," Micah agreed with a beaming smile. He was thrilled with this new information as it indicated more progress to his end goal.

The kitchen right now had polished marble tiles that were patterned across the floor. Some counters were already being placed and some stood on top, installing a ventilation system as well as the lights. Their banging resounded in his ears and dust flew everywhere like a tornado.

Micah sat down and surveyed the whole place. The soon-to-be kitchen was quite spacious. Mr.Martin was already there, overseeing the constructors, as they walked around freely. He could imagine his future staff doing the same thing, with ovens fully installed while they were hurried eagerly around the place.

"I think the stoves should go in the middle like that." Micah instructed and pointed Jay and Ms.Davis to the center of the room. "Perfect place and then the other stuff can go alone the sides."

"Yeah I think that's best," Miss Anderson said sweetly, with her rosy lips that looked like strawberries.

"Okay, so some of the appliances should be coming around next week, and then we can start arranging them and get them working," Ms.Davis said.

"Are we still getting that stove you showed me the other day?" Micah asked ecstatically.

"Yes we are still getting it Mr.Pérez," Ms.Davis confirmed with a nod.

"Okay, because I think that stove would look perfect in this kitchen." He lifted his palms in front and panned them out, like he was experiencing the greatest vision. But the only light he could see in his eyes was the blinded one coming from the window.

When they went back to the main hall, Micah was surprised to see Mariana at the door with her friend and their kids.

"Daddy!" Elisa exclaimed as she started jumping in excitement while Mariana held her hand.

"Hi Mariana, when did you get here?" Micah asked as he picked Elisa up. She immediately clung to him and snuggled into his chest.

"Oh I just wanted to surprise you and see how everything is going," she giggled and then looked around, taking in every detail. "Wow this place is really taking shape. I see the floor is all done, isn't it?"

"Yeah the flooring is done and now we doing the kitchen."

"Aw, that's great! I hope it turns out right," Mariana said, eyeing Ms.Davis who seemed to be shaking slightly.

"It is gonna turn out right?"

"Oh definitely," Ms.Davis replied suddenly, as nervous sweat slowly steamed down the dark dots that dotted around her cheeks.

"Good." Mariana nodded with satisfaction and then smirked. "Don't worry, I'm not going to yell at you again." She chuckled.

"I know..." Ms.Davis laughed too but sounded more like a hiccup of anxiety. She then fumbled around with her IPad as she cleared her throat. "And how are you today Mrs.Pérez?"

"I'm alright." Mariana smiled and then crossed her arms. "You?" she said suddenly as she arched her back and started laughing, sending Ms.Davis' nerves into alarm.