Epilogue

10 years later...

Mariana came walking out of her house, being led by the tiny hand of her youngest son, Luca. With her other, a long water hose trailed behind. The sun beamed down with a happy smile, signaling a brightening day as the neighbors outside were sunbathing and drinking lemonade.

She first went to her flower patch. She settled her nose in the kissing petals of the scarlet roses, their sweet scent tickling her nose like a feather. She chuckled lightly and stood up to spray them with water. They swayed as if singing sweet songs while Luca shot some nets with his basketball. He laughed in the background which was like music to her ears.

She had finally got the life she wanted. Her family safe, no more running, no one chasing after her. The taste of freedom felt good in her life, like cold running water on a simmering, summer day. And the therapy she had begun also provided relief and peace of mind to deal with her trauma.

She and Micah had another boy a few months after returning to LA, and two more when they moved to a quieter place. Elisa and Axel, now preteens, were hanging out with their cousins who came down to visit.

Since the kidnapping case was resolved, she got to see the revival of Micah's relationship with his father and brother. They even met Mason's family, including his daughter, Lydia, who was around the same age as Axel. From then, they visited each other's families regularly, making their children closer than they had ever been.

Mariana looked over their fence and she saw a boy riding his bike. His dog chased him as he tried popping the red balloon the boy held in his hand. She started laughing which came from the happiness beaming in her heart as they looked quite silly.

Sometimes Micah would do stuff like that with their other two sons, Luis and Angelo. Right now they were inside watching TV, but sometimes they would go out on the field to blow bubbles or chase each other.

Mariana finished with the roses and patted the soil. She moved on to her iris flowers that flourished with the deepest purple that looked made for royalty. She got more soil from a bag and placed it around the stems. She didn't think she would get into gardening, but growing her garden was fun. It was also therapeutic for her to see all the beautiful colors in her yard. Her therapist was even the one that recommended it.

She kept fishing soil out generously and came across her jade plants. She shuddered as her mind thought of Mona and her piercing green eyes. She heard that after completing her prison sentence, she returned to Romania with her children. But that's all she found out. Now she was just a mystery, just as she first entered her life and now going out.

She frowned as those years were probably the wildest ones in her life. She was thrown into adulthood and ended up in a whirlpool of trials and tribulations. All of which shaped who she was today.

She would never forget the pain of losing her father and a few months later, losing her mother and siblings too. She would never forget the dreadful and frightening night when her whole life was about to be flipped and changed forever. Although Xavier had ruined and taken away everything she knew, she had met Micah. Her special blessing.

The very first time he spoke to her, she would have never dreamt that they would be where they are now. She had never planned on falling in love, but she was so glad she did. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had this wonderful life together.