Chapter 46: Gathering Everything

Micah leaned on the shopping cart while walking around the store with Aidan, collecting supplies and some food. They weren't supposed to be shopping together, but Aidan also had some errands to run so he invited Micah along and here they are.

Micah filled his basket in silence. He was feeling slightly awkward as he and Aidan didn't typically do this. Meanwhile, his dad gathered some stuff that might be useful and enjoyed his time with his son.

"So you and Mariana will be heading to Hungary soon to find Mona?" Aidan asked and picked up some food in a can. He juggled it lightly as Micah faced away from him.

"Yup," Micah replied and took some cookies.

"That's good. I'm glad this investigation worked out in the end." Aidan smiled broadly at his son, his own blood and flesh, that he's now got back. But Micah didn't see as he was looking the other way.

"Me too. It's been a extensive journey but we got there in the end." Micah sighed with a peaceful face and looked up at the bright shelves with a glint of hope shining in his eye.

"So are you going to celebrate once you bring them back?" Aidan asked with a tinge of hope lifting his voice. But it quietened down as he got increasingly nervous about what he wanted to really ask, but was too nervous.

"Yeah, me and Mariana can have a celebration party for them," Micah said. He examined a packet in his hands and noticed Aidan had gone silent. He sharply turned around and blinked in confusion as Aidan just stared at him, slowly sucking in his bottom lip like he was begging for something.

Micah stiffened under the uncomfortable, lingering stare because he had a feeling of what he wanted to ask. He was a bit hesitant to grant his supposed request but felt like it was the proper time after everything that had happened.

"If we do have a party..." he muttered without eye contact, only a side glance as hesitation crept in, forcing his eyes to the floor. But he gulped it down and let his head lift. "We can have it at you and Mom's place."

"You mean... you'll let me meet my grandkids?" Aidan clasped his knuckles together, highly hoping his guess was right.

"Sure." He shrugged and mindlessly started searching the shelves. "It's fine but only once." He pushed the cart down the aisle while Aidan was beaming behind with happiness. He quickly followed before Micah completely disappeared.

"Thank you, Micah, I promise things will be different this time," Aidan said while Micah grabbed a packet of water bottles.

"I promise I'll be a better father and grandpa to you and your kids."

"That's good," Micah said and put something back that he didn't like. He then caught a glimpse of a petal that slowly fell like a feather onto the floor. It came from a group of bouquets that were leaning over.

He rushed over and grabbed one for Mariana. It was encased with paper shaded in rose gold. It was saturated with red roses but had drops of white here and there. He also took a packet of Ferrero Rocher and chucked it into the cart.

"Can I see a picture of your kids?" Aidan asked out of the blue. "I just want to see what they look like."

Micah side-eyed him suspiciously. He almost said no but since Aidan had improved the past couple of months and didn't get on his nerves as much, maybe one photo wouldn't hurt.

He scrolled through the gallery and found the perfect picture. Elisa and Axel were seated at the edge of a glistening water fountain. It was in the middle of a blazing, summer's day when a ball fell behind and made the waters flare-up. Elisa laughed and kicked out her legs, while her hair sprang everywhere. But Axel scrunched back uncomfortably because of the water.