Blindsided

"Good morning, Naniji."

Naniji glanced up, then went back to making her bed. "Good morning, Anjali betiya. What brings you here so early?"

"I wanted to talk to you about something." Anjali took another corner of the sheet and pulled it over the mattress.

Naniji smiled. "Of course. It's been a while since we've had a pleasant conversation, hasn't it?"

"Oh this isn't going to be pleasant," Anjali replied lightly.

Devyani straightened. "Excuse me?"

Anjali laid the cover over the sheets. "In the future, kindly refrain from using me--or Akash for that matter--to try to control Chote. I won't stand for it."

The older lady bristled. "I'll do whatever I think is best for my family."

Anjali fluffed a pillow and set it down, before meeting her grandmother's eyes. Though Anjali's tone was calm, both women's eyes reflected the same fury. "And so will I. So if you ever try to use me to blackmail someone again, I will take my son and leave."

"Do you know what you're saying?"

"I do. I won't live in a house where I'm treated like a puppet, Naniji." Seeing that her grandmother was speechless, Anjali felt a dark satisfaction. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a lot to do before we go to Khushi Ji's house tonight."

***

Payal tugged on Khush's braid. "Ouch! What was that for?"

"I've been talking for ten minutes, and you're not even listening."

"I am listening," Khushi mumbled.

"Oh? Then what did I just say?"

"You said, 'I've been talking for ten minutes and you're not even listening.'"

Payal made a face. "That's not what I meant."

"Fine. I wasn't listening, but only because I was busy concentrating."

"Yes, because dusting is a job that requires such focus."

"Okay, I'm sorry. What were you talking about?"

"About your wedding dress, but I think another conversation needs to be had. Let's go sit on the porch."

"Payal, we need to finish cleaning."

"First we need to talk. Come, let's get some ice-cream too."

A few minutes later, both girls were settled on the bench outside.

"I've missed this." Khushi said, savoring the taste of cold mango on her tongue.

Payal hummed in agreement. "Khushi, you know you don't have to do this right?"

"Do what?"

"Marry Bhai. If you aren't happy, then you can back out."

"Are you trying to change my mind? I thought you wanted this."

"I did, and I do. I'm Team Arshi all the way, but before that, I'm Team Khushi. I only want you to marry him if you really want to, not because of Buaji's emotional blackmail."

"Oh come on, Payal. Buaji hasn't emotionally blackmailed me."

"Maybe not on purpose. But she's been going on and on about how happy she is about the wedding, and I think that's pressured you into saying yes. Otherwise, I don't think you ever would have. I mean, the first thing you did after getting out of the hospital was to reject him."