Holi Heartbreak

Arnav glared at his reflection as he buttoned up his crisp white shirt. As a rule, he never participated in Holi. The mess, the noise–it was all too much for him. Every year, he hid in his bedroom, waiting for the hullabaloo to end, and then coming out to mock Di and Akash for their bhang-induced hangovers.

But for the first time, he'd decided to be a part of the festivities, and he was not looking forward to it.

Khushi stepped out of the bathroom, clad in white and yellow shalwar kameez. Humming, she came to stand next to him to fix her hair and carefully place some sindoor in her mang.

His features softened as he looked down at the reason why he'd changed his mind this year. This was Khushi's first Holi as his wife, and he didn't want her to feel left out as the other couples celebrated together.

"Got it," she exclaimed suddenly.

"What?"

"I've been thinking all morning about what color I should use for you, and I finally got it."

He narrowed his eyes, knowing an insult was coming, but walked into it anyway. "Which one?"

"Black, like your soul."

"Hey!" He swatted at her, but she ducked and giggled, running out of the room.

Shaking his head, he smiled. She could use whatever color she wanted on him. After all, he was hers, and only hers.

***

Subhadra clutched her cane so tightly that her knuckles had turned white. She was standing just inside the gate to Shantivan, watching as security checked the hired help and entertainment before letting them in. Daksh was with them, too, in disguise. Once he was past the gates, he'd find a way to sneak inside the house and Subhadra would hide him in her room. Then, when the party was over, he'd come out and talk to Arnav, clearing the air between them.

But all that was dependent on him getting in undetected.

"Who are you waiting for?"

Subhadra startled, turning to face Lavanya, who'd silently come up behind her.

"No one," the old woman answered hastily. "I'm making sure everything goes smoothly."

Lavanya's gaze was piercing, and a bead of sweat formed on Subhadra's forehead. She doesn't believe me. But to her relief, the officer silently walked away.

Liar, Lavanya thought as she walked out of the woman's sight. She made her rounds, checking in with the security at each entrance. "Make sure everyone's IDs match with their faces and under no circumstances is anyone who is not on the list allowed to enter."

Going out again to the main entrance, she watched from a few feet away as a bunch of dholki walas piled out of a van.

One of the security guards at the gate instructed them to line up and pull out their IDs. As the process continued, they began to grumble.

"Can we go faster, Saab Ji?" one of them complained. "Our dholaks are heavy."

"Set them down. But no one goes through until procedures are complete."

Most of the men immediately set down their heavy instruments. One, however, clutched his tighter.

Lavanya immediately honed in on him. His hairstyle and fashion was similar to that of the rest of the crew's, but he was bigger than them. Even so, he should have jumped at the chance of relief.

"You," she said sharply, stepping forward. "Come to the front of the line."

The man hesitated and his eyes shifted. He's planning on running, Lavanya thought and leaned forward in anticipation of a chase.