Moving On

"So what should we do now?" NK asked.

The house that they wanted was over their budget. They thought about getting a loan from the bank, but it wouldn't be approved fast enough. Nisha suggested that they borrowed from his Maasi, but both of them balked at the thought. Not that Manorama would refuse them, but money had a way of getting in between relationships.

Which brought them to the present moment. They sat in his living room, putting together the documents they needed to adopt Anya as they discussed what to do about the house issue.

"My father's house," Lavanya said suddenly. "I forgot about it–we can sell that."

"Are you sure?" NK said doubtfully. "Don't you want to keep it? It's your property."

"No," she said shortly. "That house has no sentimental value for me. Text the real agent now to see how fast we can sell it."

NK hesitated. "Don't you want to at least go and see it?"

"What for? I have no happy memories there."

When he didn't look convinced, she said, "My childhood wasn't like yours, NK. The majority of it was spent constantly being compared to my sister and always falling short, and the rest of it was spent being forced to pretend she never existed.

"If there was something of hers left there, I would have gotten it, but my father burned all of her belongings before my eyes."

NK softened. "Alright."

***

Nattie arrived, as always, in style. Pastel pink suit, with pants that flared out at the bottoms, emphasizing her long legs, black chunky jewelry that offset the feminine colors, and make-up that highlighted those sunken cheekbones and honey-colored eyes.

More than one head turned as she was led to the photoshoot area, eliciting admiration from all and horror from the employees that had been there long enough to remember her last visit.

Her charming smile faded when she saw the set-up. Or specifically, that it was Anjali that was waiting to welcome her and not Arnav.

"Nattie," Anjali said pleasantly. "It's been so long."

"Where's Arnav?"

"Honeymoon."

"What?"

"They flew out just this morning. I'm afraid you'll have to deal with me."

She snarled, and Anjali hated to admit it, but even with that expression, the model looked beautiful. "Forget it. Find someone else for this photoshoot." She stormed out, entourage chasing after her.

Anjali grinned. "Well, that went better than expected."

***

Khushi smiled, then dabbed blush onto the apple of her cheeks. Bringing her face back to normal, she applied another coat of mascara and deemed herself ready.

Arnav was on the phone as he opened the door and entered. "There's no time to waste, Aman. We need to get the photoshoot done as soon as possible. If Di's li–" He stopped mid-step.

"Sir?" Aman said from the other line. "Is everything okay?" Had the call dropped?

Khushi smiled, feeling heady and powerful. Striding over, she took the phone from Arnav's hand. "Sorry, Aman Ji. He'll call you back later."

He blinked as she ended the call. "Wh–what the?"

She wore a slinky wine-colored sari, paired with a black blouse that exposed her stomach. With dangly earrings that elongated her neck, and hair pulled back into a low bun, several strands let loose enticingly around her face, he'd never seen her look sexier.