Bonus Chapter 2:

Like Aman's mother had predicted months prior, Aman's face was a picture of awe and adoration as a beaming Aarav led Anjali to the gazebo where he stood waiting.

She had foregone the red dress that she had donned for her first two weddings in lieu of an orchid pink sari with golden work. She seemed to glow as she stepped towards him.

Arnav was blinking rapidly, and so Khushi reached for his hand. He smiled down at her for a second before returning his gaze to his sister.

His Di. His rock, his support despite suffering so much herself.

And here she was, finally getting the happiness she deserved.

Manorama and Devyani were both openly weeping, and standing further in the back, Subhadra rolled her eyes. How ridiculous to be crying, when they should be jumping for joy that Anjali was finally getting married.

As the phere began, one of the twins began to fuss, and with lightning speed, Payal pulled a bottle out of the diaper bag and handed it to Akash. The twins had been born early, shocking everyone and nearly giving Akash a heart attack, but after a month in the NICU both babies were home safe.

Now, at three months old, they were as happy and healthy as could be, and new parents, though perpetually tired, were handling them wonderfully.

Anya sighed happily as Aman filled Anjali's maang with sindoor. Lavanya heard, and cocked an eyebrow. Her adopted daughter was ridiculously romantic, and she and NK regularly teamed up to force Lavanya to watch rom-coms. But though Lavanya complained that she missed watching horror, she had secretly developed a soft spot for the sappy storylines and happy endings.

NK caught her look, and leaned closer to whisper, "Oh please. As if you're not getting emotional yourself."

"I feel nothing," she said stoically, and laughing, he took her hand.

His Lavanya would never change, and that was the way he liked it.

***

"I just wish I could remember," Khushi said glumly. She stared out the window at the rain. It had been pouring all week, and it hadn't helped her mood.

The therapist leaned back in his chair, and said contemplatively, "And what would that accomplish?"

"I would stop imagining what happened, and stop dreaming about what I imagine. Reality can't be worse than my mind's conjurings."

"Do you really think so?"

"You don't?"

"Humans are wonderfully resilient. Our bodies, our instincts, and indeed, our minds, are adept at doing what is necessary to help us survive. And your mind is doing just that."

"What do you mean?"

"Look, the nightmares are about the time you were kidnapped, correct?"

She nodded. Every night, she was haunted by shadowy figures that, after torturing her in various ways, would suffocate her until she awoke in terror.

"Whatever happened, it's not in your best interest to remember it. Every time you remember it, you will relive it. And your mind doesn't want that, which is why that memory has been blocked out."

"But how will the nightmares stop?"

The therapist pursed his lips. "Well, you could go to a doctor and get sleeping pills prescribed."

"But you don't think that's the best solution?"

"No. I think it's your worry that's triggering these nightmares. Once you stop thinking so much about the details about what happened, the nightmares, too, will stop bothering you. Of course, that's just my theory."