Breakthrough

Arnav double-checked his camera's battery life before placing it in its bag. Khushi watched him in the mirror as she braided her hair.

"Lavanya's going to drop by today," she reminded him.

"I know. I already texted her earlier; she'll be here in the evening. I have plenty of time to do this."

He slipped his phone and wallet into his pocket, and she couldn't help but ask, "Would you still be doing this if Daksh had been captured yesterday?"

Coming up to stand behind her, he met her eyes in the mirror. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"If Daksh had been captured, I wouldn't be here right now. I'd have already left."

He couldn't hide the pain that crossed his face, nor did he try. "I know. But it wouldn't change anything. Maybe I started this list to earn your forgiveness, but even if I never get it, I'll finish the binder."

"Why?"

"Because I want to prove you right."

She turned from the reflection to the real person. "What do you mean?"

"You said you I could be a good person, a good husband and a good father. I don't know if you'll give me a chance to prove the last two, but the first one–I'll try until the day I die, Khushi."

Unexpectedly, she felt a rush of pride. Regardless of anything, he'd chosen to continue to try to be a better man because of her faith in him.

Seeing her expression, his heartbeat picked up. It was expressions like this that gave him the hope that she demanded he not have.

It was expressions like this that made him want to pull her into his arms and kiss her until she could no longer deny his love, his want for her.

It was expressions like this that made him believe that at the end of the day, she'd forgive him.

Clearing his throat, he said, "I'll get going then."

"Have breakfast first," she said, following him out the door.

"Only if you eat with me–"

"What are you two doing here?" Subhadra exclaimed. "I thought you were on your road trip."

Arnav and Khushi exchanged glances. "We uh...we changed our minds," Khushi stammered, not wanting to be the one to reveal to the old woman that the whole venture was an elaborate trap to get her son.

"Why?"

"Because I missed you so much, Dadiji," Arnav said, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "Come join Khushi and me for breakfast."

Speechless, she let Arnav lead her down, Khushi trailing after them.

He turned back to wink at her, leaving her love thumping madly.

Great, she thought. Just great.

***

"Nannav, what are you doing here?" was the first thing Arnav heard when he walked into the orphanage.

He groaned. "NK. I could be asking you the same thing."

"He's tutoring," Sister Mary said, beaming. "He's always dropping by and helping out with different things. And NK dear, Mr. Raizada is also going to help us out today. He's photographing the children so that we have better pictures for families looking to adopt."

"Cool, bro," NK said.

"You, too," Arnav said stiffly. It occurred to him that though he was always looking down on NK, he had a better handle on this being a good man thing.