Games

The tension in the room was palpable as Buaji, Payal and Khushi entered. Exchanging uncertain glances, they greeted everyone and sat down. "I didn't know you were dancing with us, Mr. Chowdhry," Payal said to Aman.

If she had known how badly her innocent effort to break the silence would have gone, she'd have kept her mouth shut.

Anjali's smile was uncharacteristically cold. "I didn't know, either. Apparently, these things are kept on a need to know basis."

"If you're upset, I can leave," Aman said quietly.

"Did I say that?" Anjali snapped. "Stop deciding what I think for yourself."

"Anjali," Devyani scolded. "Is this how we treat guests?"

"He's not my guest," Anjali hissed back. "I didn't invite him."

Aman stood up. "I should go--"

"Sit down, Aman," Arnav ordered, glaring at his sister. "You're my guest, and you'll leave when I say."

"Of course. After all, everything has to happen according to the will and pleasure of Arnav Singh Raizada," she shot back.

"Di, please relax," Akash said placatingly.

"Don't get involved, Akash," she warned. "You don't know what's happening--" she stopped at the look of his face. "You know as well? You were a part of this?" She waved vaguely in the direction of Aman, who she noted was still on his feet. "Why are you standing? Sit down."

He shook his head. "No, I really think I should leave. I'll see you at the office tomorrow."

"Aman, you get back here or you're fired," Arnav called, but Aman didn't stop. "Look what you did," Arnav yelled at Anjali.

"Oh, that's rich. You completely ignore what I tell you and ambush me like this and then say that I'm responsible?"

"ENOUGH!"

The siblings silenced and looked to their grandmother. "This is still my house," she reminded them sternly. "And in my house, there's a way we do things." She turned to Buaji. "I apologize, Madhumati Ji. I don't know what's gotten into these two; they seem to have forgotten how to behave in front of guests."

Ashamed, Anjali said, "I'm sorry."

Arnav grunted out an apology as well.

"Hey!" NK said cheerily as he entered. "Look who I found trying to escape."

Khushi snorted at the sight of a hassled looking Aman being frogmarched in by NK. "Dr. Goddswani please..."

"It's NK," he corrected cheerily. "There's no formality amongst friends now, is there?"

Lavanya rolled her eyes as she entered. "Do you make friends out of everyone you meet?"

"Only the people I like."

"What are you doing here, Lavanya?" Khushi asked, pleased.

"She's going to be my dance partner," NK explained, finally releasing Aman.

"You're lucky he brought you back otherwise you would have been fired," Arnav said.

"No you wouldn't," Anjali said wearly. "I'm sorry for my behavior before--please sit down."

"Go on, mate," NK said, practically shoving Aman deeper into the room.

Aarav came running into the room. "I'm ready to dance!" he exclaimed. He looked absolutely adorable in a fedora, black pants and pink jacket.