Surprise

"Here it is," NK said, placing a packet of papers on the desk with a thud. "Do you think we have a good chance of approval now?"

Sister Mary beamed at the newlyweds. "I believe so. Of course, you are both still so young, which works against you, but both of you are successful in your careers and your character witnesses are practically singing your praises. I'll put in a good word for you guys as well."

"Thank you," Lavanya said. "We just want Anya to be with us as soon as possible."

"I'll do my best."

As they left the orphanage, NK said, "She gave me a lot more hope now than when I first asked her."

"It'll probably go through now," Lavanya mused. "If it doesn't, we can maybe consider fostering."

Her phone rang. "Hello?...I'll be there in fifteen." Hanging up, she quickened her pace. "Come on. I have to get to the station."

"Is everything all right?"

"We have a lead on Daksh."

***

It was a quiet evening at Shantivan. The family sat together in the living room, though each member was caught up in their own activities.

Khushi was doing some research for a new case, Arnav was writing out a proposal for the scholarships he wanted to offer to Delhi Women's shelter, Manorama was knitting a blanket for her coming grandchild, Akash and Manohar were playing chess, Anjali was helping Aarav with his homework, Devyani was watching a drama on her iPad, and Payal was working on the sketches for Khushi's secret project.

Even Subhadra was there, though all she was doing was glaring at everyone and being ignored.

The bell rang.

"Are we expecting anyone?" Devyani asked as Khushi got up to answer it.

"It's Lavanya and NK," Khushi called as she pulled the door open.

"Namaste, everyone," NK called.

They were greeted happily, but no sooner had they been seated, Lavanya said, "There's something I wanted to talk about." She looked pointedly at Aarav.

Catching the hint, Anjali said, "Sweetie, why don't you go finish this in your room? I'll come up in a little bit to check on it."

With the child out of earshot, Lavanya said, "We had a breakthrough with the Daksh case."

Arnav's heart thumped. Damn it. He wasn't ready yet. He'd made great progress with Khushi but he wasn't sure if it was enough to convince her to stay.

Closing her laptop lid, Khushi hated the disappointment that coursed through her. What was wrong with her? She should be happy that Daksh was closer to getting caught, so what was wrong?

"What is it?" Anjali asked anxiously.

"The night that Daksh escaped, we captured some of his men, including a 17 year old. We've been working on him, and today he revealed the location of a house right here in Delhi, that served as Daksh's hideout. We raided the place, but Daksh isn't there. However, there are signs that he was inhabiting it up until two days ago.

"This could mean one of two things. Either he's changed his hiding spot, or–"

"Or?" Devyani prompted.

"Or he's about to make another move. Keep an eye out for anything–anything–suspicious. Make sure your guards outside are on full alert, and do not leave the house without your bodyguards."

"This is ridiculous," Subhadra huffed. "My son is not a threat to us."

Anjali rolled her eyes, but otherwise, Subhadra was ignored.