As stubborn as a goat

Manorama shook her head as Arnav stormed out of her mother-in-law's room. "It's the third time in as many days," she complained to her husband.

He sighed. "Ma Ji still won't listen to him?"

"Hello hi, bye bye; don't you know how stubborn your mother is? She didn't talk to you for eight months after we got married. Not a single word. And me, she didn't talk to for one year and three months. She still doesn't like me!"

"Manorama, that's not true." The screen pixelated for a second as Manohar shook his head vehemently.

"You can deny it all you want, Manohar, but your mother holds a grudge. And I'm sure her insistence that Arnav bitwa marry first is also to irritate me."

"It's only because she's worried--"

"Worried about what? That we won't find a good wife for him? Even if he was forty, we could have good rishtas for him at the snap of the finger. Arnav babua will get married easily as soon as he wants to."

"Maybe Ma Ji thinks that she can pressure him like this?"

"At this age, your mother should realize that marriages can't be forced or rushed. But she'll never learn. Perhaps Akash bitwa and bahu should elope like we did."

"Don't worry, Manorama. Ma Ji will come around eventually."

"We'll have better luck convincing Arnav babua. Maybe I should talk to that Prishi lady."

"Prishi?"

"It's that matchmaker that Madhumati wanted for Khushi--hello, hi, bye bye, Manohar, I'm a genius!"

Manohar highly doubted it but nevertheless, he nodded and said, "I know, dear."

"No, Manohar, listen. Khushi is single! Arnav babua is single. They already bicker like a married couple--they'll be perfect for each other!"

"Manorama, that's--" Manohar started to refute his wife but then considered it. "That's actually not a bad idea. Talk to Arnav--no, talk to Anjali betiya. If Arnav isn't opposed to it, let's bring it up to Ma Ji."

"We're going to do a double-wedding," Manorama chirped excitedly. "I'm going to talk to Anjali betiya right now, hello hi, bye bye." She hung up and rushed over to Anjali's room before remembering that Anjali was putting Aarav to bed. I'll do it as soon as she's free.

***

Payal pouted as she read the text. Sighing, she put down her phone and went back to tracing the lehenga pattern onto the red cloth.

Khushi glanced up from the book she was reading. "What happened?"

"What do you think happened? Arnav Ji tried talking to his grandmother again but nothing came of it. Akash tried suggesting that Arnav give into her demands but he flat-out refused."

Madhumati sighed, putting down the newspaper. "Perhaps I should talk to Devyani Ji myself."

"You've already told her several times that you don't want to delay the wedding too much," Khushi pointed out.

"She's right, Buaji. I don't want to make it seem like we're begging. Let's give at least a few more days. I'm sure she'll come around eventually."

Buaji eyed the wedding dress that was slowly coming to life under Payal's hands. "I hope so."

***

"Anjali betiya, finally you're back!" Manorama exclaimed. "Come, come, I need to talk to you."