53 | somewhere only we know

"this could be the end of everything" - Somewhere Only We Know by Keane

- Somewhere Only We Know by Keane

...

ONE YEAR LATER

UNFORTUNATELY, UNLIKE THEY had hoped, Isabella didn't get better. A few days after her incident in King's cross Station she was told that she only had a few months left. Isabella, ever the strong woman that she was, took this news in her stride. The doctors told her whilst she was alone as to let her inform her family and friends how she pleased. She had asked the doctor to bring a them all in so she could tell them all at once. Much like she had done when she told them about the illness.

As you could imagine, none of them took it well and were all in a state of shock. It couldn't happen to their friend could it? James couldn't possibly be losing another person to this horrible disease? It was strange how the worst things always happened to the best people. Isabella had a knack for being able to calm people down but she feared this wouldn't be a time she was able to do such things.

"For right now it's only between us" She had begun, knowing that the papers would soon find out. "I want none of you to fuss over it or be upset over it because that's just time wasted, I could end up having more time than what the doctors say" Isabella comforted them, holding onto James's hand who was gripping onto her as though if he let go she'd be ripped away from him. "And if anyone tries to give me sympathy I will slap you" She joked light-heartedly, warning a small laugh from a few people.

"Those second that you could waste doing such things could be used to do things that I want to do with the time I have left" she told them all gently before a small smirk appeared on her face. "On that note, what would you little maniacs like to do first?" She asked them.

If Isabella had a few months or a few years, she didn't truly know. What she did know however was that she's make very single little second count.

From that day forward, pushing down their sadness they helped Isabella complete her bucket list. One of the first things was sky diving. She could safely say that was one of the best experiences she had ever had. She felt free as though she didn't have any cares in the world. It was clear Sirius didn't share her enthusiasm though, once he reached the bottom he ran away to be sick. Remus probably had the most fun on that activity.

The next thing was go kart racing. Now this one. This one was Sirius's idea of a good time. He and Isabella races around the track as though there were no tomorrow. Despite constantly running into things and crashing into each other, it was a good laugh. At the end Sirius stood victorious on top of the podium with his gold medal that would always make him think of Isabella.

Next she convinced the group to run a marathon. This was more up James's street than anyone else's. Much to everyone's surprise, the group were one of the first to cross the finish line and donated a good load of money towards different charities which was another one of Isabella's wishes. It was something James had always wanted to do and Isabella could see how happy crossing that finish line made him.

By the time they came to the next activity, she had well surpassed the date the doctors had given her, this gave everyone hope that she might be okay. This activity took place after Harry's second year, which was traumatic for the boy to say the least. To cheer him up and to tick another thing off of her list the group all went to Disneyland Paris. They stayed there for a whole week. One day she and James went out for a romantic dinner in the middle of Paris just like they had done on their honeymoon as James said he'd always live to go back there again.

Another day was a day for just her and Harry. They snuck away from the group and Isabella took him on all the larger rides that James was too wary to let him on. It's safe to say Harry was extremely happy with getting on those rides.
Isabella kept going strong until the Summer of Harry's third year when her health started to deteriorate massively. There trips quickly winded down and for her last activity she had decided on a picnic in the back garden.

What they hadn't realised at the time was that everything on Isabella's list weren't things she wanted to do per say. Most of them were things her friends had mentioned to her about wanting to do. Being told she only had a few months to live made her realise just how precious time really is. You never really understand that concept to the full extent until you're in her position. She was blessed with a chance to try and do as much as she could before she passed.

Instead of doing things for herself though she did it for her friends and family. In a way she wanted to save them from feeling any regrets. She would be able to die happy knowing that she was able to help them in some way. The moral of her story is don't waste a single second because you never know when it could be your last.

She sat on the picnic blanket that afternoon with an absentminded smile on her face as she watched her family playing games under the summer sun. On the radio next to her 'Those Were the Days of Our Lives' by Queen began playing. As the days went past she found herself relating to the song more and more. Doing all those activities with them over the past few years made her feel like how she did when she first met them. They had no fears then, as Freddie sang, the bad things in life were so few.

Those days are gone now though, however when she looked at them her feeling hadn't changed. She loved them with all her heart. It broke her heart that she wouldn't be with them forever but she would always be with them even if not in person, she'd always, always be there in spirit. That much you could count on.

...

Isabella gently knocked on Harry's door and entered when he told her she could. "Just came to say goodnight" Isabella told him as she walked over to where he lay down in his bed. "What are we doing tomorrow?" Harry asked as she sat down on the edge of his bed. "Anything you want" she told him after a moment, moving a few stray stands of hair away from his face. "Get some sleep, buddy" She whispered, leaning down and kissing his forehead gently before standing up and heading towards the door.

"Mum" He called after her as she reached the door. "Yeah?" She asked, turning around to look at him with a warm smile. "I love you" he said meaningfully. "I love you too, pumpkin" She replied, blowing him a small kiss before shutting the door with a sigh. She really did love that boy as though he were her own.

"Hello, my love" Isabella greeted as she walked into her and James's bedroom, crawling into bed and cuddling up next to him. "Alright, love?" He asked making her nod. "Never better" She promised truthfully, wrapping her arms around his torso. "Did you take your medication?" He asked. "I always do" she told him, looking up at him with loving eyes. "Good" He smiled, placing his book down so that he could wrap his arms around her as well.

"I love you so much" He whispered into her hair, taking in the familiar scent of her shampoo. "I love you more" She assured him as she snuggled into his chest. Laying in each other's arms they eventually fell asleep. Sometime during the night, Isabella awoke and gently removed James arms from her body. The floorboards below her creaked as she stepped out of bed making James stir. "Where are you going?" He mumbled groggily. "I'm just going to get a drink, love" She assured him making him hum and close his eyes again.

Isabella quietly wandered down stairs and into the kitchen. She grabbed a glass from the bailey and filled it with water. She leaned against the counter as she looked at the clock on the wall. 2 o'clock. Glass of water acquired she ventured back upstairs. As she passed by Harry's room she noticed his door was lying open. He was fast asleep in his bed. Isabella quietly crept in and gave him another soft kiss, as to not wake him. Luckily Harry was a deep sleeper.

She ventured back through to her room where she found James once again fast asleep, snoring away soundly. Much like his son, James was also somewhat of a heavy sleeper. Isabella planted another kiss on his head, rubbing her hand softly through his hair before leaving the room again, only having one more thing to do before heading back to bed for the night.

...

i'm sorry.