Chapter |3|

(Alicia at the top)

Chapter |3|

"Hey. Guess what? I've heard that this year, Daniel is participating. I wish it could have been next year, then I would've had a chance with him," one of the junior girls sighed dramatically.

"I know right? I wish he just doesn't find his princess. That will leave him unavailable, at least," The other one replied.

"What about Ryan? I've heard that Alicia has called dibs on both of them," another one piped up.

I rolled my eyes. I was standing at my locker, taking out the books for the next period. I couldn't even count on my fingers as to how many times I'd rolled my eyes because of the talking of the ball.

Some were bawling while some were worried about what they'd wear because-and I quote- 'they didn't have any clothes'.

The excitement seemed to increase by the minute. Since it was the last study hour, before the summer break started, everyone seemed to have ants in their pants. Day after tomorrow was the day when everyone was supposed to gather in the Ricksville, two hours away from here.

To be honest, I was a little excited too. Almost every girl dreams of having her own fairytale, where a prince would come and sweep her off her feet. And I was no different.

Just because I disguised myself didn't mean that I disguised the girl in me along with it. Deep inside, even I longed to dress good every once in a while. Even I wanted to wear different shoes and sandals.

But that is what the thing was.

I couldn't. Even if I wanted to.

So it was easy for me to roll my eyes and pretend that it didn't hurt one bit when others gushed about these kind of things with their friends.

Friends.

It was such a foreign word for me. I really did wish that someone would try to see past the mask I'd put on for everyone to hate. I wish that I could have someone to show who I am and not who I pretend to be.

But we all know that thats not happening anytime soon.

"Get you fat ass moving," Mandy, another popular girl sneered as her sidekicks pushed me aside.

I simply shook my head and headed for my last class.

****

"No mom. I can't wear this dress. This is so...so last year," I heard Alicia whining for the umpteenth time.

All her complaining was getting on my nerves and I wanted nothing more than to go and duct tape her mouth so that I could finally read my book in peace. And what did she even mean by 'so last year'?

Dresses didn't come with expiry dates, that is, as far as I knew.

I returned to my novel. I had nothing better to do, so I was currently re-reading the Percy Jackson series and was on page 137 of Sea Of Monsters when her whining started.

Honestly, I was waiting for dad to show up with my gift. I can't say I wasn't excited. This excitement always prevailed before the day of my birthday.

We gave gifts the day before each other's birthdays so that we could wear and use whatever the person gave us then next day. Mom had made us practise this tradition since I was five. According to her, the day turned out to be even more special for the person who wore the gifts.

Unable to read it because of her shrieking, I decided to start my packing. We were leaving early, day after tomorrow.

So I had a whole day and a half to pack my things.