Chapter |31|

QOTD

Chapter |31|

Chapter |31|

No doubt life is weird, but does it make it fair to blame every bad thing on it?

We always say that life is unfair. On what basis do we point fingers at life? Whatever happens throughout our duration of being alive, is somehow related to the choices we make.

Taking an example of my life, the answer to the question as to why Linda came into it is related to the choice I made when I begged my mother to take me to the town's Lake festival, despite her depleting health.

If the incidents of that day hadn't happened, my mother would still be here instead of that gold digger and her daughter.

It's the choices we make that influence our life happenings.

To me, it was one of these moments of choices and decision making when my feet padded on the track.

The white ribbon that my eyes spotted spelled the choice I was going for. The choice that would give my life a drastic turn.

The choice of breaking free.

I was proud of my abilities and I felt equally happy when I outran my fellow participants. For once in my life, it felt like as I ran, I was leaving behind all my troubles and worries and nearing my freedom.

My feet hit the ground in a rhythm that felt soothing to my ears. To me, it felt like my haven. A haven that kept me alive in its own way, protecting me from the harm of reality.

I increased my pace when I was a few meter away from my ultimate victory. A smile curved my lips as I went closer to the start of happiness.

But then nothing ever went that smoothly, did it now?

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't see it in time. I couldn't notice the grease on the cemented area, only rubbed on my track.

Which is why I slipped. I slipped and landed on the hard floor, a foot away from the ribbon that was responsible for declaring my victory.

Before I could get up and complete the race, the raven haired girl-whose name was Marissa, ran past me, whooping in victory.

I closed my eyes. Mixed emotions swarmed me but I kept a poker face. Anger, frustration, pity mixed with one emotion that I recognised as tiredness.

Till what extent did they want a fight from me? All the anger that had bubbled inside me when I had faced Alicia, was mixed with a feeling of exhaustion that I had forgotten to see when I lashed out at her.

But now as I sat on the ground with everyone else cheering for her, I clenched my teeth.

My breath came out in pants and not just because of the race.