38. Maa

JAY'S POV

With a big grin displaying on my face, I went out of the green room and hurried back to the audience just to secure a seat at the front row to watch my angel deliver the best act of hers. The vibration in my pocket halted my steps, I took out my phone but a frown formed on my forehead reading the name appearing on the screen.

"Baba?"

I whispered to myself, this is probably the first time he is calling me in all these years. He never once considered me as his son, not even step-son. Burden, that's all I ever was to him untill I started earning. Now I am fulfilling my responsibilities, that's how much right he was given me over him. I looked here and there, finding an isolated corner I walked there before picking up the call.

"Hello? Pranam baba."

"Areeyy!! Pranam vranam choodo, yeh tumhari maa..yeh isse-"

"Kya hua maa ko??"

I spoke up in between, my voice filled with desperation and fear. His nervous and tensed, sounding voice had my heartrate increased. I fisted my hands to control the tension boiling inside of me. I could hear distant sounds of the staff in the house in the background. Baba shouted to shut them and spoke through the phone.

"Teri Maa ko heartattack aa gaya hain, tu bass chaldi aaja! Abhi ke abhi aaja mujhe kuch samajh nhi aa rha.."

"Aa raha hu Baba, aap log hospital pohocho.."

A strong shock ran through my body, leaving me with a trembling heart and still limbs. The phone slips from my grip, crushing the screen as it falls on the ground with a loud thud. I found myself standing at the cliff, where leaving from here or not..both will hurt a lot. I looked at the closed door of the green room. My love was sitting there waiting for her dream to come true, expecting me to witness her doing so.

Her sorrowful face, when she won't find me in the audience is enough to shatter my heart in pieces. Pieces such that, too small to reassemble. "You will be there right Jay?" Her words kept ringing in my mind again and again, her excited face came in front of my eyes only to get misty due to the tears.

"I am sorry Rooh, I hope you will be able to forgive your jay."

Mumbling that to myself, I ran out of the venue. My throat dried up at the thought of maa fighting against death without me being there to support her. As I sat down in the taxi, my mind hazled up with the flashbacks.

A seven year old child crying while keeping his mother's face on his lap, begging her to open her eyes just for once...to just look at him, to call his name for one last time.

::Flashback::

Seven year old Jay, stood outside the hospital room trying to hear what the doctors were telling his maasi regarding his mother's degrading health.

"Her heart stopped. It's a case of heartattack, a terrible one, I am sorry we can't do anything."

The doctors harsh words broke that little boy's heart, as he ran straight to his mother's room where she was 'sleeping' peacefully, not looking less than an angel.
The boy climbed up on her bed and sat on her stomach out of his habit and wipes the continuous flow of tears by his little hands, just like his mother used to do for him once.

"Mummy...please wake up, don't sleep for soo long. Me miss you mummy. Mummy your heart is working right? Mummy please wake up naa.."