62. Diwali

JAY'S POV

It was no less than a miracle that I escaped that hell of a place. The moments I spent in there have been nothing but pure torture to my soul. My heart, mind, body everything ached and begged to come out of there. I was passed out in the hospital for a few days and the first person I called was Ravi, as I knew only he would be able to help me.

As much as I yearned to hear Rooh's voice, talk to her; I knew how badly I have hurted her and right now, I didn't have the courage to talk to her. She deserves a proper face to face deeply felt apology, for she suffered without any of her own fault. Right now, I was in the car with Ravi as we were on our way to the palace, he was going to get married in.

Normally, I would have been super happy at his wedding but the nervousness of facing her after almost an year took over any other emotion of mine. During the whole ride, I was just praying for her to forgive me somehow, I won't be able bear hatred for me in her eyes. My heart throbbed against my chest in anticipation, a tsunami of different emotions erupting inside me.

I was shocked to see how lavish the palace was, as I walked in; I was greeted by flower petals and the love of life. God! She was looking divine, my eyes felt relaxed for the first time in a year upon seeing her. Head to toe, she was adorned with royal jewellery looking nothing less than a Goddess. It made me want to bow down in front of her.

But what hurted my heart was the look of pain in her eyes when she saw me. Those eyes which once used to light up due to my presence; Now looked at me with such unexplainable ache. I thought that the hatred in her eyes will kill me, but here the tears of her sufferings were enough to peirce through my heart.

I immediately lowered my gaze, not being able to look into those teary eyes. The fact that I was the reason behind her pain, killed me in ways that can't be explained. The way she looked at me and maintained distance, made me feel like I don't have the right to even look at her. This unknown barrier between us saddened my soul.

The moment I really died was when I noticed the missing necklace around her neck. The one I had designed myself, I gifted her that to her with so much love but maybe after what I did, I don't even deserve that much space in her life. The promised we made while exchanging that necklace ringed in my mind, causing my eyes to well up with hot tears.

"Rooh.."

My lips tremble when I tried to call her, to my suprise she did turned around to give me an answer.

"Ruhani, That's my name."

Her cold, indifferent tone did more harm than I expected, I closed my eyes as a tear rolled down my cheek. She walked away from me like I meant nothing to her and I stood there watching her go with my glistening eyes. My hand went inside my pocket as I took out her bracelet, the only thing that kept me company in that hell. This small piece of metal was what kept me alive, pushing me through those hard times.

"I atleast kept one of my promise Rooh, I really took care of it more than my life."

Clenching it tight, I brought it closer to my lips and pressed a tender kiss on the cold shiny metal. Placing the bracelet back in my pocket safely, I walked further inside the hall. Whole palace was decorated like a bride, I let out a smile filled of mixed emotions as I admired the beautiful view. Ravi and Srishti's relatives greeted me with warmth, but she wasn't ready to talk to me after what I did to her bestfriend.

When she refused to greet me, I didn't feel bad; instead it felt good that Rooh had someone who cares for her deeply while I was away. It wasn't my intention but it did made me a little happy when Srishti's mother asked Rooh to accompany me till my room; the fact that our rooms were adjacent ignited a new ray of hope in me, maybe I could make things right.