Chapter Eight

**** "Gwyn, honey chile' who de heck are you - an' whut did you do wit' my baby sista?"

Gwyn pursed her lips, shrugged and grinned. "I jus' wanted ta make 'im t'ink a bit 'bout what he's doin' an' who he's doin' it wit'." She said with absolute innocence.

"You know he wusn't raised ta hurt folks like dis. 'Specially people he knows."

Nico nodded, "Dat's right, bèbè. But...."

Gwyn shook her head. "No buts! I am tired o' bein' scared dat dey are goin' ta hurt somebody I love tryin' ta get to me. I was hopin' I could scare 'em inta fogettin' de whole t'ing an' jus' leave."

"Besides," she poked a finger into his chest, "You started it, it wuz your idea."

She nodded as her brother stared and his eyes grew large while he shook his head furiously.

"Oh yes you did!" She shook her finger in her brother's face.

"I heard ya say he shoulda talked 'cause I had my mad on an' dat I knew how ta hurt people - makin' it sound like I torture my clients an' get dem ta talk."

"Ooooh dat."

She glared at Bear when he opened his mouth, daring him to say otherwise. Nico was surprised when Bear's mouth closed with a snap.

'Well look at dat,' Nico thought to himself. 'Not goin' ta be gettin' any help from him,' after receiving the, 'You're on your own wit' dis one buddy' look.

As her anger and fright began to lessen she took a breath.

"Look, I won't do it anymore ok? I guess I was a scared an' mad an' I got carried away."

Nico let out a relieved breath and Bear sent a thankful prayer to the sky. Gwyn's actions had been so out of character and fearlessly getting into the man's face had jarred them both.

"Ok...ok." Nico added, relieved. "Jes' do us both a fava Gwynie an' leave da bad guys ta us, ok?"

By this time, the suspect was sitting in a squad car on his way to jail while Bear and Nico spoke with the officers.

Later when Gwyn's statement had been taken and she had returned to the houseboat to relax with a cup of camomile tea, she heard a soft knock.

At first she was almost afraid to open the door but remembered that her guardian angels were outside and wouldn't have allowed anyone dangerous to approach the houseboat.

She opened the door to find a small, smiling woman weighed down by baskets of fresh flowers, ziplock bags of what looked like herbs and a blackberry cobbler.

Tears sprang to her eyes as Gwyn opened the door wide and cried,

"Aunt Zinnie! I'm so glad ta see you. I can't believe it's you!"

She took the cobbler and a basket which were slipping and stepped back for the spry little woman to enter.

"Hello chile'," The older woman said in a soft, loving voice.

When everything had been set on the table the two women embraced each other.

"I'm s-so h-hap-py ta see ya!" Gwyn cried as she hugged the woman.

"I'm happy ta see you too chile'. De swamp has been tellin' me o' your troubles an' I t'ought you might be needin' me." The woman said returning the embrace and gently patting her niece on the back while rocking her to and from.

"Now, you sit right down dere an' pour me a cup o' tea an' tell me what de trouble is an' den we goin' ta see whut I can do ta help you."

Thirty minutes and a pot of tea later, Gwyn was feeling more like herself thanks to the gentle, loving persuasions of Madam Zinarr.