Chapter twenty three

*** Suddenly, a loud, screeching sound split the air....from nowhere and everywhere. Gwyn grabbed her head and covered her ears. The therapist tried to open a door only to find that again, it was locked from the inside. On they went, with Gwyn fighting a building head ache that threatened to split her skull.

"Gwynieeeeee." Came a whispery sound. "Gwynieee! Come to meeee."

"Good God, what the hell is that?" Jerry ground out looking around.

"You, you did hear dat den? Dat voice?"

"Heck yeah I heard it. No wonder you doubted yourself, that's the most frightening thing I've ever heard. Let's keep going till we can find a way in."

The pain hit her again, knocking her to her knees as a wave of dizziness made her nauseous.

"Gwynnnnnnnieeeeeeeee."

A sob excaped Gwyn's throat as she forced herself to her feet and she began to run. "We need to stay together."

'Thump!' A groan, "Run Gwyn!"

'Thump!' A groan, "Gwyn....run....get away, get he...." The sound of a body hitting the floor echoed in the corridor.

"Rrrruuuun little, Gwyn. Run into my arms, it's where you're supposed to be. Where you'll forever beeee." The voice was coming from behind her now, coming from the underground garage.

"Jerry? Are you alright?" She crept back to find him on the floor. Blood was running freely from a gash on the back of his head. He groaned when she pressed her scarf of the gash to stem the blood flow.

"Come on, Jerry. We have ta get outa here, it's not safe."

"I....don't....think....I.....can....sweetie....you go....get to safety and send help."

"I can't leave you here!"

"You have to, Gwyn. Whoever this is, is after you. Don't let him catch you, he's sick...." and slumped back onto the floor.

"No! No! I can't do dis." She cried.

"Gwynnnnnnnieeeeeeeee."

The sound was closer, the pain hit her again. She crawled to the wall and used it get to her feet taking huge, slow breaths. She got her bearings and remembered her cellphone. She punched Bear's picture and began walking, her back against the wall as it rang. The big man answered on the first ring.

"Gwyn! Baby, where are you?"

"Bear! Help me!" She cried, "Where are you? Why weren't you in the garage for me? Please, Bear. Come get me."

"I'm coming, baby. But you have to tell me where you are."

Dhe put the phone on speaker as he and the Sheriff headed for the garage.

"The corridor to the garage, we were going back but the doors are locked. Then that voice started calling me again....the pain...Bear help me! Send someone for Jerry, he's hurt."

Bear looked at his sister as they hurried to the area. Koni was talking to the dispatcher who started a trace on Gwyn's cell signal. As the signal was sent to Koni's cell the blood froze in their veins.

"Gwynnieeeeee," came through Bear's phone, then a sound Bear swore he would never forget.

Gwyn screamed, "Beeeeearrrr! No, let go! Bear!"

Then a scuffling sound as if someone was being taken against their will. A low moan and silence.

"Gwyn!" Bear yelled. "Hang on, baby! Bates! Let her go, if you hurt her no hole is small enough for you to hide in. I will find you."

Conner Bates laughed as he carried Gwyn's unconscious body over his shoulder. Ramone had actually turned out to be rather helpful after all. He followed orders well even if only because he was terrified of the consequences.

Shame he would have to die as well....but he wasn't sharing his little Gwyn with anyone. As ordered, Ramone nervously waited by the door to the garage.

As Conner Bates went through he turned and smiled at the other man. "You've done well, Ramone. I appreciate everything you've done but it's time to separate now."

"Well, ok....if you say so. Where do we meet up at and when?"

"Where is as yet unknown, when is when hell freezes over."

He delighted in the comprehension that swept over Ramone's face just before Conner shot him in the throat. The man fell like a rock and patting Gwyn's back gently, Bates continued on to the black suv and placed her in the passenger front seat. He let the seat back into a reclining position and secured her hands and feet before fastening the seatbelt. He covered her with blamket the exact color of the interior including a light mesh covering over her face. He took a moment to just stare at her, his Gwyn, all his....forever.

***

The gunshot was loud throughout the hospital. Bear and Koni looked at each other and took off.

Koni barked orders into her walkie. "He's got her in the parking garage! Do not let him leave!"

The well trainer deputies poured into the underground garage and took up hiding places near the doors. Koni ordered medical assistance for Jerry and gave his location.

They continued on as quickly and quietly as possible sown the corridor and found Ramone. Surprisingly, the man was alive and she order help for him as well.

Bear opened the door slowly and Koni gave the command for silence as they entered the garage and listened. The sound of a heavy door slamming and the roar of a powerful engine broke the silence.

"Find that vehicle but hold your fire. Our man has a hostage. Repeat....this is a hostage situation. The perpetrator is armed and dangerous."