Chapter Nine

**** Bear thought he had never known any woman as strong minded, intelligent or insightful as his grandmother. Until he had met 'The Swamp Woman.' She could stand toe to toe to his grandmother any day and he would not have been fool hardy enough as to bet on the outcome. He went over the conversation with Aunt Zinnie as she insisted he call her when he heard something.

He stopped and listened, barely daring to breathe. 'What was it? A low mumbling and....what? Muffled sobbing? Gwyn!'

He was out of the chair and down the hall as quickly and quietly as possible. He stood outside Gwyn's bedroom door, listening to her crying broke his heart. He knocked softly on the door then opened it slowly, not wanting to startle her nor to give her the opportunity to deny him entrance.

He found the love of his life holding her ears, rocking back and forth, crying softy. He sat on the bed, drew her into his arms and rocked her gently. He placed a kiss on her forehead and asked,

"What is it, baby? Please tell me, let me help."

At first, she just continued to cry. He pushed some tissues into her trembling hands and held her close.

"Whatever it is, honey. We'll handle it - together. Tell me so we can handle it."

He held her away from him and with one huge hand lifted her face for a gentle kiss.

"Tell me. We're in this together, 'the two shall become one'," he quoted.

Slowly, she lifted her tear filled eyes to his and whispered brokenly.

"Oh, B-bear. I t'ink I'm l-l-loosin' ma mind." And broke into huge heart wrenching sobs. Nico entered the room then, gun in hand, searching every corner.

"Whut's up?" He asked pushing the pistol into his holster and pulling a chair up to the bed.

Bear shook his head, "I heard sounds and Gwyn crying and came to see."

"Ooo-kaaay." Nico leaned toward his sister, elbows resting on his knees, fingers linked.

"Ok. You have ta tell us whut is goin' on, Gwyn. We can't do anyt'in' if we don't know whut ta do anyt'in' 'bout."

When she remained quiet Bear tilted her head and forced her to look into his eyes.

"Do you remember when we first started working together?"

She nodded.

"One of the first things you told me - and continued to tell me throughout my therapy was that if I didn't tell you where the pain was, where the pressure was - you couldn't help. You remember that?"

She nodded frowning slightly.

"Gradually, I realized that as the professional you knew what you were doing and knew how to help. BUT - you couldn't help if you didn't know what was wrong. Correct?"

She nodded then wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

"Yes, I remember....but...."

"No. No buts. You were the professional. You knew how to strengthen my leg, improve my balance. YOU KNEW. But, until I told you where the pain or numbness was you didn't know where to apply the heat, ice or massage." He let that sink in, while Nico, admiring his friend's insight remained silent despite wanting to shake his sister until she started talking.

"This is the very same thing. I am the professional, Nico, idiot that he is, is the professional."

Nico sat up and said, "Hey! I beg yo' parden! No one can call me an idiot except fo' my wife. Genny is de onliest one whut has permission ta dis me like dat."

Gwyn smiled and giggled as he had intended.

Bear continued, "We know how to help, but can't until we know what hurts, where the pressure is. Help us help you baby. Tell us what's wrong."

Gwyn took a shuddering breath and sat up.

"I'm afraid...."

Nico interrupted, "We know dat!"

He would have continued with his brotherly tirade had Bear not held his hand up and sent him the dark glare that sent most criminals and many coworkers scurrying.

"You said you were afraid you were losing your mind. Why? What leads you to believe that now when you have never felt that before?" Bear stroked her cheek.

Gwyn bit her lip and locked eyes with the big man.

"I've been hearin' voices," she whispered. "Literally hearin' voices. Dey're not in my head, I know I'm hearin' dem. But....it's only when I'm alone so I can't prove it. I've tried settin' up my recorder, but....when I do....nothin' happens."

Both men looked at her silently, then at each other for a long moment.

"When do you hear dese voices?" Nico asked.

"When I'm at home, sometimes in de boat."

"Are you always alone?" Bear asked. She thought a moment.

"Well, someone is usually in de house but I'm alone in my room or on de boat."

Both men thought a minute.

"When was the last time the house was searched for bugs....devices?" Bear asked.

"When we come back home. I'll go through it again, de boat too."

"So....you....don't....t'ink...."

"Hell no!" Both men stated emphatically.

Bear continued, "If you believe you're hearing voices, you ARE hearing voices."

"It's up to us ta find out where dose voices are comin' from - an' we will, be'be'. Make no mistake love we'll find them."