14. the bad boy's drunk call

"Hello?" I answer, half asleep. I look at the clock beside me on top of my drawer and the bright lights illuminates 2:15 AM.

2 AM! Who the hell is calling me at 2 in the morning?

"Do you ever wish you could get a second chance at life?" Archer slurs out on the phone.

"Are you seriously calling me at 2 in the morning to ask me this?" I asks.

He ignores me and continue slurring his words, "If there was a reset button, I'll press it right now."

"Are you drunk?"

Why can't he just stop drinking?

"I-" he didn't finish as a loud beep like the sound of a car was suddenly heard from the phone then the line went dead.

"Archer?" I ask into the phone but he had already hung up.

What the hell just happened? Whatever, I'm going back to sleeping.

I lay back down on my bed and close my eyes, trying to fall asleep but it's no use. I'm already wide awake after the phone call.

I toss and turn in my bed for 30 minutes then quit after since I can't sleep anymore. I wake up and walk down the hall to the living room.

I've live in this house for a few weeks but it still feels so foreign.

Once I reached the living room, I turn on the tv and search through the channels to find something to watch. I doubt it since it's like 3 in the morning now.

I stopped searching and stop at a news channel since there's nothing good to watch.

"Drunk driving is the number one cause of death in the world today...." The news woman report on tv which makes me think back to Archer and his weird drunk call.

He can't be dead, right? I mean, that loud beep sound was probably something else other than a car. If so then why did the line sudden dead?

All these questions and theories as to what happened with Archer starts popping up one by one in my head.

"No way." I mutter to myself. He can't be dead.

"No way what?" Jace's voice sudden echoes throughout the room. I jump back from shock.

"Oh my god, you scared me." I gasp out. My heart is seriously beating so fast right now from shock.

He comes and sits down next to me on the couch. "Why are you up at this hour?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"Me too."

I'm surprise we're even having this conversation. I thought he hated me.

Our conversation ended there as we both stare at the tv without saying a word to each other.

"-because of this, more polices have been out on the streets at night to prevent drunk driving," the news woman continue.

Why am I suddenly so worried about Archer? I don't care what happens to him, I think to myself.

What if he's really dead? What if he really got into a car crash and died and I was the last person he talked to?

"Do you know where Archer lives?" I suddenly blurt out to Jace.

-

What the hell am I doing?

I'm just going to go up to his apartment and check to see if he's there and is safe and sound. Nothing more.

What if he's not there?

The elevator door opens, indicating that I've reached the 7th floor - the floor where Archer lives.

I walk out and search for his apartment. It wasn't very hard to find since its only a few rooms from the elevator.

I notice that his door is left open slightly. Curious, I open it and allow myself in. The whole apartment is so dark that I don't even know if he's here.

As I walk in further, I see a dim light coming from the living room. I walk towards it and regret it instantly as soon as I saw what's happening before me.

I swallow the big lump forming in my throat as I watch a half naked Archer and a girl having a full on make out session on the couch.

I quietly turn around to leave before he could see me but stopped when a white husky suddenly comes beside me and bark.

He has a dog?

I turn back around to see two pairs of eyes looking at me. I lock eyes with Archer right away. He looks shock to see me.

After a few seconds which felt like an hour, I break our eye contact and quickly run out of his apartment before he could stop me.

"Chloe, wait!" I hear him shouting from inside but I kept running. I ran to inside the elevator and quickly click the button.

The elevator comes to a stop and I quickly get out and run out of the building.

Since Jace dropped me off earlier, I have no car. I began walking down the streets, holding back my tears.

Why do I care? I keep asking myself the same damn question.

"Chloe?" A familiar voice snaps me out of my daze state. I look beside me, only noticing now that a car had pulled up beside me. I look at the source of the voice and my whole body suddenly froze. It's like every muscle, vein, and fiber in my body stopped working.

Just when I thought Archer is going to be the only bad guy in my life, the devil himself, in all his glory appears.

~
a/n

Things are really starting to heat up. New characters are appearing and things are going to get more interesting.

Stay tune for more!

Thanks for reading!