31. the good girl is getting soft

"I'm sorry." Tony's hand slides down my torso and under my shirt. His cold hand sends shiver down my spine.

          "No! Help me!" I scream in my head but no words come out. My eyes widen. My body frozen.

          I open my eyes to realize it was just a dream. A bad dream. My breathing slows and my body relax. I grab my phone from beside my pillow and click the button to check what time it is.

          7:10

          With a sigh, I get out of bed and into the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. After getting dress, I grab my bag, a chocolate granola bar, and run out the door. My car is still in the shop so I have to call a taxi or an uber so I don't know how long that'll take.

           I get into the elevator and press the #1 button. A minute later, the elevator door opens and I get out. I walk through the lobby and out the exit door.

          To my surprise, Archer is in front of the building, leaning on his car in the sidewalk.

          "Good morning!" He chirp as soon as he see me. He stand up straight and walk towards me. I walk down the stairs of the apartment building to him with a confuse stare.

          "How are you here?" I ask, still surprise and confuse. How does he know where I live?

          "I drove my car here," he say without a hint of sarcasm. Thanks for stating the obvious.

          "No. How do you know where I live?" 

          "Well, about that..." he avoid my gaze, "I might've followed you home last night." My mouth drop.

          "Hey, you left with that car guy and I wanted to make sure you got home safe," Archer try to defend himself.

          "You followed me home?" I ask, incredulous. "What are you? A stalker now?"

          He look at me, "I just wanted to keep you safe, Chloe." I scoff in disbelief.

          "That doesn't give you the right to follow me home," I raise my voice at him. He can't just invade my privacy like this.

          "I'm sorry," he lower his stare then back up with a smile, "Can I take you to work?"

          "No."

          "Why not? You don't have a ride," he point out the obvious.

          "I'm going in a taxi. So no thank you." I walk past him to look around the streets for a taxi.

          "Just go with me, Chloe. It'll probably cost you more than 20 dollars if you ride a taxi." Dammit. I hate it when he's right. I need to save my money for rent.

          I turn around to face him. "Fine," I give in reluctantly earning a happy smile from Archer.

          "But-" I say, causing Archer's smile to fade away, "no talking in the car. And this means nothing."

          "Fine, mom." He teases me. I roll my eyes at him and walk to the passenger side of his car. He unlocks the door and walk to the driver side. He starts the car as I put on my seat belt. He drives off.

          The car ride to the diner was silent, just how I wanted it. Archer didn't put up much of a fight like I expected he would. He actually did what I told him to. This is unlike him which only makes me wonder what he's planning on doing.

          Archer drives to the front of the diner and stop there instead of the parking lot which confuses me a lot. I unbuckle my seat belt and open the door then pause in my spot. This is really bothering me.

          "You're not staying?" The question stumble out of my mouth. Archer looks at me in surprise at my question but quickly put on a smile. That damn smile.

          "No," he say with a regretful tone. My eyebrows furrow in confusion at his response.

          "Don't miss me too much."Archer change the mood with just one line. I sneer at him and get out of his car. I watch as he drives out of the diner. He's really not staying. I shake my head from the thought and go in the diner. I can't get soft now. Whatever he's doing is his business. I need to stay out of it.

          -

          "Bye, Chloe!" Sandy call out as I open the door and get out of the diner, the cold autumn breeze hits my face.

          I expected to see Archer in his same spot, leaning on the wall, but I frown a bit when I see Carter.

          He smile at me, "Archer's busy with something so he called me to pick you up. Said your car's in the shop." I walk to him.

          "Thanks."

          Carter walk me to the parking lot and we get in his car.

          Not seeing Archer in the diner today was... strange. I'm used to seeing him there now that it feels different without him. I need to stop thinking like this.

          -

          Next day.

          I get off the elevator and walk out of the building, taking out my phone to call a taxi to pick me up but stop once I see Carter.

          "Let me guess, Archer told you to come?" I ask, already knowing the answer to the question. Carter respond with an uncomfortable smile, meaning I'm right.

          "You can drop me off at the auto-shop. My car's fixed." I tell him and get in his car.

           After Carter drop me off, I drove to the diner.

          I enter the diner and, somehow, my eyes immediately travel to the seat Archer usually sit at to see it occupied by someone else. I try to clear my head and get ready to work.

          I should be happy that he's not bothering me anymore but I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.

~

A/N

Sorry for the short chapter.

Bad news: I've been trying to come up with an ending to this story and I did. A lot of you don't want it to end but I feel like if I continue, I'll just keep dragging this story on forever and it'll start to get boring. So ONLY TWO MORE CHAPTERS LEFT! Ahhh! Thank you so much for all the support and, just, thank you for everything.

Here's a cupcake gif as a thank you.

Thank you!

Thank you!