4

Raising her head up to meet his height, she smiled

Raising her head up to meet his height, she smiled. She smiled because she couldn't believe that Elijah just called her a friend. And she also smiled because she knew their friendship was going to be powerful even though it was just the beginning of it.

"Would you like to drink something?" Elijah asked, raising his red cup up for her to notice that everyone in the room had a drink except from her.

Looking down at her long, thin fingers, she replied: "I don't drink... If you know what I mean." She smiled again, her cheeks becoming a little bit red.

Not that she was ashamed to say that she didn't drink; It was simply the fact that Elijah's gaze was way too intimidating every time he asked a question or just spoke up to her. His eyes looked to cold yet so warm at the same time and there was something in them, something that she couldn't understand yet. And deep inside, she told herself that, learning to know Elijah more was not going to be easy, she just needed some time to discover the mysterious man he was.

"Me neither." He replied, his eyes shining in the darkness of the room.

Surprised by his words, she lifted her brows in confusion and disbelief before pointing at the red cup he was holding. "What do you mean by you don't drink?"

"Well this is water." He said before taking a big sip of it, his eyes never leaving hers. He looked amused by her confused expression. "You don't believe me?" he asked, a smirk forming on his pink lips.

Clearing her voice, she shook her head. "I mean, I've heard a lot of stories about you getting violent when you're drunk and other things like that... So I can't really understand what you're trying to say here." She said quickly but then regretted it when she saw his smile disappear.

Elijah's dark brows pulled together. His jaw clenched.

"Yes, of course. You prefer hearing and believing what others say about me. I understand. You're just like everyone else." Finishing his drink, he stood up, ready to walk away.

"Where are you going?"

Rachel stood up, following his action. Her heart broke a little, just a little bit at his words. Why? Because she felt like everything she had heard about this boy standing in front of her was a lie. She felt bad because she just followed the others, she judged him way too quickly before even having the chance to meet him properly. But she also somehow felt relieved. Because she knew that after this little mistake, she couldn't let it happen again. Not now that she was ready to discover who Elijah Bornman really is. Not with the help of others nor rumors, but simply with her own way.

"Away from you."

He replied dryly not looking at her. He just continued walking towards the door, his strong body pushing everyone out of his way, way too violently.

"What? No! We're friends now, remember? Friends don't walk away from each other. No, no, never!" She followed him like a lost puppy, her breath accelerating because he was walking way too fast, and she had to follow his movements.

"Oh really? Well guess what? I don't want to be your friend anymore." Pushing the door open, he walked out of the small room, the cold air, brushing his freckled skin.

Walking behind his strong body, she stopped herself. "Why?" she asked, making him turn around brutally and face her, the girl who was now hugging her body, trying to cover herself from the rough weather.

"Because I can't be friends with someone who doesn't believe in me, with someone who listens to other people's lies instead of asking me about it!" This time, Elijah's eyes turned dark as he shouted right at her face making her take two steps back.

She observed him. How mad he looked. She saw the veins on his neck pop out and his strong jaw clench, something he did every time he was mad or upset.

"I'm sorry." She apologized, her voice little and weak.

"Sorry for what?" he asked, taking a step forward.

"I'm sorry for saying what I said to you. I judged you way too quickly and I shouldn't have done that... I believe you. I believe that you don't drink." Her voice came out as a whisper. Raising her head back up to meet Elijah's gaze, the look on her beautiful face broke his heart. Her eyes were shinning because of the tears threatening to fall down her cheeks, and her lips were trembling.

"Wh...Why are you crying?" He asked taking another step forward.

"I'm sorry..." she repeated.

"Yes, I know. I forgive you Rachel but why are you crying?" His brows furrowed in confusion. He hated seeing her like that, even though it was the first time he saw her tears, he knew it was the most painful image that he definitely didn't want to see again.

"I hate seeing you like that... Screaming, shouting, being so harsh..." she replied as she played with her fingers, not looking at him.

Without another word, Elijah grabbed her chin, pulling her face back up to look at him. He saw her tears and wiped them away quickly with the back of his hand.

"Listen, Rachel. If you want to be my friend, you will have to be used to this side of me."

He whispered making her tilt her head to the side, her eyebrows still furrowed.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because that's me. That's the way I am." He sounded hurt and that confused her even more. "Listen, I just need time alright? I promise to try and not show you that side of me, but trust me, it will be so difficult for me."

"Why?" she asked again, making him roll his eyes discretely.

"You really want to know?" he asked, taking his deep blue denim jacked off before carefully placing it around her now, cold body, making her gasp a little bit.

"Yes, I want to know." She replied, acting like that little action of his didn't surprise her at all.

Smiling coldly, she shook his head before taking his fingers away from her smooth skin. Looking at her now dry eyes he sighed before replying.

"Well, it is because I ha-"

He was about to end his sentence when Davin's voice cut him off, making both of them turn to his direction. He stood there, his eyes filled with anger as he met the person standing in front of his sister.

"Rachel! What are you doing here?" He asked before walking towards them and grabbing her wrist as his gaze met Elijah's.

"You are hurting me Davin... I was doing nothing wrong, just talking to Elijah!" She replied, making him take away his hand.

"We have to go." He said, his eyes never leaving Elijah's.

Looking at both of them, she sighed before walking away from them and towards their car.

"What's wrong with him?" she asked herself silently as she heard his footsteps behind her.

"Rachel, you just can't be friends with this guy." He said firmly.

"Why?" Rachel turned around to look into his eyes. He was mad, very mad. And she couldn't understand why Davin got so mad just by seeing her with Elijah, her friend.

"Because he's not good for you, at all." He almost whispered.

______________________

- What do you think about Elijah and his personality ? (: