Toxic

Published on September the 26th, 2019. 20.00.

When I first had the idea a year ago of chronicling what at the time seemed to be a protracted, confusing, and excruciating Brexit process I had no idea of just how bad things were to become. Had someone told me then what would be the case now, I would have questioned their sanity.

The Supreme Court, acting at the behest of an inferior Scottish court has ruled the government's advice to the Queen to prorogue Parliament was unlawful, and on that basis ordered the chamber back in session. Notwithstanding the flaws or ramifications of the judgement, the Westminster rabble were only too eager to stampede through the gaping hole torn in the fabric of our non-constitution and reclaim their seats. Immediately having done so, the poor snowflakes then forced an emergency debate in which they collectively wailed at the fact some of them had received death threats and that people didn't like them!

Now they're dropping any pretence about being representatives, and are coming out with their true intentions; to frustrate a Brexit of any kind by any means necessary. There is talk of passing a second Benn Act, this one even more prescriptive, which would force the Prime Minister to ask for an Article 50 extension immediately, or failing that, with the wind in their sails the Remainers will go for broke and legislate for a revocation. Faced with such a nuclear option it is reported BoJo will attempt a second prorogation, but given the judiciary have now declared their hand in favour of the establishment coup I doubt if he'll be successful.

This has become more than a question of Brexit; now it is a full-blown constitutional crisis: Who's will prevails? Ours, or Theirs? However this issue is decided, British politics has become so toxic it will take a generation or more to heal, if it can be healed. A year ago I began to write not knowing if the narrative would transform into a diary or dystopic novel; now I fear I'm recording the descent into the Second English Civil War. I dread such an occurrence, it won't end well for anyone concerned, but unless the UK leaves the EU at the end of October I think that is the likely outcome.