Target Practice

Natasha's P.O.V.

I got to the gym and saw Agent May standing there I sat in the bleachers and tried not to make eye contact. She didn't like me, and I didn't like her.

Once everyone came in though in she said, "Today we'll be working on and assessing your marksmanship skills." I didn't feel particularly excited or nervous about the task. It was fairly good at hitting my target, although I still favored hand-to-hand over shooting. "I also asked for another agent to help us; he currently holds the record for farthest bullseye hit at any SHIELD facility." Hmm, someone that might actually know what they're doing. May shot a glance toward me and I started to get an odd feeling in my stomach.

We went to the range and everyone went to a stall.

"For right now I want you to warm up until our guest gets here," Agent May instructed.

As I was warming up I realized I ahead of my fellow recruits it yet another area. They all knew how to shoot and were fairly good at it, but I could still tell that a lot weren't necessarily comfortable with their weapon. After thirty minutes, the door opened, I notice a few girls tried to straighten their hair. I rolled my eyes, dear God, can you at least try to be professional?

"Everyone stop firing and direct your attention to our special guest." Agent May called out. I turned and saw Agent Barton, there is no way that idiot could be the record holder.

"Everyone turn your attention toward the lane that agent Barton is in." Agent May said, programming for the target to move back as far as it could.

"Handgun or bow first?" Agent Barton asked, a cocky smile on his face.

"Handgun and then bow," May said, sounding slightly exasperated.

"Ok, does someone have a gun I can borrow? I was running late and didn't have time to grab one." The girls practically tripped themselves trying to hand him their gun.

"Thank you," He said once finally managed to get to him. He looked over the gun and then got in position and fired. We all glanced at the target and saw a perfect bullseye.

"Now it's time for the real show," Barton said, winking at one of the girls. Don't encourage them, Barton. He took out a re-curve bow from the case that he brought with him, I notice that it's the same bow he had in the alley. He also grabbed an arrow from a quiver that was leaning against the wall. Once he got in the booth, he turned his back to the target and prepared himself as if he was going to shoot without actually seeing the target. He's going to miss and make a fool of himself. He pulled the string back and after a couple of moments let loose the arrow...another bulls-eye. Everyone started to applaud except for me

"Everyone, continue practicing and Agent Barton will come along and help correct your form," Agent May informed us.

I rolled my eyes and went back to shooting. It seemed like the girls became worse at shooting if that was even possible. Soon Barton came over to me. I ignored him and continued shoots, getting near perfect bullseyes every time.

"Pretty good Romanoff, but you need to work on where you hold your arms. Where you are now is fine, I mean you'll get pretty close to a bullseye, but it does allow your arms to be a little shaky." He adjusted my arms with a few small movements and then stepped back. "Now try." I shoot again and get two bulls-eyes in a row. "See easy fix."

I roll my eyes as soon as he turns his back. I was fine with what I was doing. We keep shooting until we are dismissed for lunch. Lucky for me Barton got swarmed by some of the female agents in my group, so I was able to sneak out without him seeing me. I ended up going to the bunkroom, deciding I would rather skip lunch than have Barton or Coulson try their makeshift therapy sessions with me.