If Only Raven Stayed

As I lay on my bed after the wonderful dinner, the cook presented, all sorts of scenarios play in my head. Of what we were going to do next. What next? The question fills my head as the dark night slowly starts to light up. I requested to be in a room that faces the woods so I can take its energy to calm my storming heart. But it did little to help. I know I need to be in it. So, as the small rays that pass through my window, lights up a path for me, I get off the bed and walk up to the large window.

I climb up the small wall encasing the balcony and take a step off. I floated in the air before I softly landed on the hard-cemented flooring. Then I leapt into the woods. I ran as if I was being chased. My own thoughts haunted me. I ran deep within the forest, where even the sun's rays couldn't find me anymore.

I willed the trees to cover me better, hide me from my horrific future that I didn't want to be a part of. I kneeled down and looked up at the darkness. Then I lay curled on the cold green floor like a foetus in its mother's warm womb. Plants started to grow around me and vines over me. It covered me from everything. Even from myself. I was hidden once again. From the world. From me. As I lay there, my eyes started to close as a dreamless, peaceful sleep took over me. My heartbeat calmed and the storm inside me died.

I woke up to the voices that called me. A voice so familiar. A voice I have been hearing forever. It called me. I opened my eyes to the darkness. The vines and plants that covered me, slowly retreated back to uncover me to yet another darkness. Then that darkness further uncovered itself as a stream of sun rays lighted on my face.

The voices seemed further, but I could hear it clearly now. Aya. It seemed like half the day had already gone by as I look at the sun high up in the sky. Not even a single cloud to hide its bright light. I got up to my feet with the help of the vines that slowly pushed me up. Then everything went back to its normal shape before I entered the woods.

Reluctantly, I compelled my feet to carry me towards the voices. Aya.

I saw her on the clearing, she stood by in-between the woods and the house of a mansion. As soon as she saw me, she ran towards me. Her light blond hair almost looked white in the light as it floated behind her as she came running. Her pale beautiful face laced with worries. Her light brown eyes shined even lighter. I never noticed how lighter it could get. Maybe because of all those years without little to no sunlight.

She encased me in a warm hug as my nose filled with her smell and her warmth. "I was so worried about you." She whispers as she tightens her arms around me.

"Aya, we cannot stay here." I tell her and she nods. She knows that I never call her Aya unless I'm really serious. "The sooner we leave, the better it will be for us. For me" I add.

"I know. I know. We will. Soon. Until then hold on. Little Raven." She whispers softly. She knows that she will never be able to find me once I get myself lost in the woods. so, she waited for me to come back. As she knows, I will always be back. For now. Yes. "I'm sorry, I didn't notice your suffering earlier. I'm really sorry."

I put my own arms around her and lightly rub my palm against her back. Letting her know that I'm okay now. From where we stand, I can see Eliana further behind right by the back door. I know that she heard us. But her face is vacant, void of any feelings, but her eyes so like the sky grew curious.

She gave me a slight nod, indicating that she's glad I'm back as I nod back to her. After a while we make our way back inside the house. The house that filled my heart with excitement just yesterday, it now torments me. The more I stay here, the more I will be attached to this. And to her. So, I know I need to leave.

As we sit back on the dining table, with Aya beside me and Eliana in front of us, "I am really sorry about all that" I whisper as a guilty smile takes place on my lips. I clear my throat even though there was no need to. "I am really thankful to you for being our companion throughout our journey here. And of course, offering a place in your home. Thank you." I smile genuinely.

Eliana gives her beautiful heart-warming smile and was about to say something before I interrupt her. "I think its best that we leave though."

"And we also don't want to come in-between your family too." Aya adds. Eliana lets out a deep sigh. "I won't stop you if you want to leave. But feel free to stay as long as you need to. And you are always welcome here anytime regardless." She smiles softly at us as her eyes flicker between us.

"I will one day return your favour for guiding us the whole way. If or when there comes a day, I will be there for you. Thank you once again." To that Eliana shakes her head, disagreeing with me. "No, you were the ones who helped me this time around ladies."

"But I must warn you there are quite a few werewolves around. Be careful. And if you happen to run into a pack that tries to harm you, just tell them you are my friend. I've quite an influence around the packs." She gives us a sly grin. Whatever she means only she knows.

"Thank you" I nod my head a little. Aya and me, both make our way to the rooms that we stayed in last night. I take a light shower and change into another pair of legging and a white baggy t-shirt. I stuff my other items in my bag that I had taken out the other night and carry it over my shoulder as I make my way out without overlooking the woods beyond.

I meet Aya on top of the staircase, she had now changed into a light pair of jeans and a loose white top, that hung close to her body unlike my overly baggy one. She had her bag slung over her shoulder as well. She holds out her hand and I take it with mine and we make our way downstairs where Eliana was waiting by the sofa, as she leant against its back.

As soon as she felt our presence, she looked up at us. A sad smile on her beautiful face. She too had changed into a smart pants and a white lacey top that hugged her perfect figure. She stood a few inches taller with her pointy stiletto heels. She was the persona of elegance.

Now, that I really look at her in the light of day, she is beyond beautiful. Her golden hair that shined even in the dark night, shines even more now as it flows softly behind her. Her feminine soft jaw lines and high cheekbones with perfectly arched eyebrows is unworldly. Her long lashes filled with black, curls back to show her eyes so blue like the sky reflecting on the vast ocean. She was from a world that was beyond this one.

"Is there nothing that I can do to make you stay?" asks Eliana she comes to the bottom of the stairs to meet us. "It's not that we don't want to stay" True. "It's just that all this too much for us." To me. I look to my side to see Aya nod.

"I wish to stay." So much. "But we have to go." I smile. Not the bright one that reach my eyes. "Thank you so much again. For everything." I whisper.

Eliana sighs and puts her hand in her pocket. She holds out a piece of paper. Aya slowly reaches out to take it. "I know if I gave you money, you won't accept it. It has my number in it. If you need something, call me on this number. Anytime. That's the least I can do to repay you."

"Thank you" Aya says as she puts the paper in her bag and zips it back. "It's time for us to leave now." Aya has a tight smile. I know that she doesn't want to leave Eliana as much as I do. She was our only connection to this world that is still very dark and unknown to us unlike the serene forest. We had formed a bond unknowingly and it hurt to part ways like this.

"Friends" Aya holds her hand out to shake and Eliana extends her own long arm to meet her hold. "Always" she whispers as she lets go to shake mine. But I jump in her arms and squeeze her. Surprising us both. But Eliana puts her arms around me after she recovers. Tightly. Like she wasn't ready to let go.

"Family." I whisper and feel my eyes turn glossy. She nods her head as she still holds me tight. "Sisters." The word just escapes my lips as a lone tear slipped my traitorous eye. I hold on tight to the future I might have. To another sister that might have accepted me. To a future of us becoming a family. As we drive past the gates that just welcomed us yesterday, I felt as if now, I truly lost that one place which could have been a home. My home. If only I stayed.