s i x

Jeremiah's gentle hand on mine was reassuring. It let me know I wasn't walking into this extravagant ballroom all by myself, with all these people my family and I used to know. I trusted that Jeremiah's friends invited him to enough of these that he'd be comfortable enough to carry the weight of my awkwardness.

A whisper came to my ear. "Are you alright?"

Slightly startled, I turned to Jeremiah with a stiff smile. "Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" I asked.

I focused my gaze back to the ballroom, intricately carved columns protruding from the walls, a yellowish dim falling over the room from the massive chandeliers hanging overhead.

"You look like a deer caught in the headlights," he noted. I chuckled lamely. "We don't have to go in if you don't want to. I'm sure I won't be missed."

"No," I denied firmly. I took a shaky breath and straightened my posture, a determined look on my face. I had done this a million times before, so there's no reason for me to be acting like this is my first day of kindergarten. "Your friends are expecting you, so, in we go." I took another breath before taking a few hesitant steps forward, them slowly turning into confident strides.

As soon as I passed the threshold and stepped foot onto the white and gold marble flooring, a server stepped up to me, a tray held elegantly in his hand. He was dressed in a black bow tie, vest, and dress pants, the only white thing about his attire the button-down shirt he was wearing.

Jeremiah came up behind me and took two flutes of champagne from the server's tray, giving a nod as thanks. He handed a flute to me and I took it. I thanked him before taking a small sip, relishing in the flavor on my tongue. Nothing beats the taste of expensive champagne.

Jeremiah and I kept to ourselves for the first half an hour or so that we were at the event. I pointed out to him every person I knew that passed by us, the two wallflowers. Jeremiah seemed surprised to find that I knew a good majority of the people in the room with us. I think he sometimes forgets that my parents had Sunshine Suites longer than I was alive.

Jeremiah and I were pulled from the wall when one of his friends strode over, his whole demeanor radiating confidence. I watched the interaction between Jeremiah and his friend, them doing the classic guy handshake. They clapped each other on the back twice before Jeremiah directed his friend's attention towards me. I smiled politely.

"This," Jeremiah began as he gestured towards his brown-skinned friend, "Is my best friend, King. King, this is-"

"The ever-so-lovely Kiara Suns," King cut in. He grabbed the hand that was not occupied with a glass of champagne and placed a kiss to the back of it with his plump lips. "A pleasure," he said, his lips tickling against the back of my hand.

"I'm surprised that you know me, King." I raised an impressed eyebrow. King and I had never once run into each other at one of these things. At least, not that I can remember. "I've been off the scene for quite a while." I smiled gently as I raised my glass to my lips, taking a small sip.

"When a pretty face like yours disappears from the scene, people tend to take notice," he responded. "I'm surprised that J here invited you to this. He never-"

"Do you know King, Kiara?" Jeremiah cut in. "I mean, he seems to know who you are."

"Of course I know who he is. You can't have a name like King Courtney and not expect me to know who you are."

"Ah, so she has heard of me," King cheekily said as he leaned towards Jeremiah.

"Oh yeah, I heard of you. I'm sure my sister has some words that she'd like to say to you. But, let me just stay mute." I took another sip of my champagne, my eyebrows rising to the top of my head.