f o u r t e e n

I sat in front of the mirror in my bedroom and just looked at myself.

My hair was done, it slicked up into a high ponytail with extensions. It started at the top of my head, inches of hair cascading down my back like an ebony waterfall, it stopping just under my butt. My outfit was complete, a vibrant red bodysuit in a bustier style adorning my top half, a pair of black skinny jeans with rips all down the thigh covering the bottom. The shoes I chose sported a moderately high heel, the matte nude surface of the base conflicting with the transparent toe and ankle straps that gave the tiniest shine. I tied it together with a Taurus constellation pendant that was gifted to me for my 17th birthday from my dad.

What wasn't finished, however, was my makeup. I continued to stare blankly ahead at myself as I took in the soft contours on top of a flawless base I added to my face. I painted the eyeshadow with a pop of shimmering red, and a natural-toned lipstick graced my lips. One of the things missing was lashes, although those could be added in a pop. What couldn't, however, was eyeliner.

As per usual, I had dialed up Adrienne earlier this week and practically begged her to come over tonight so that she could apply my liner. To my dismay, Adrienne had to pull a double tonight and was unable to appear to plaster a crisp, clean swipe of eyeliner to my face.

I realized looking at myself in the mirror was not the solution to my problem and decided to call in some backup instead. The phone rang about three times before Hannah picked up on the other line. "Hey, lovely!" she cheerily greeted. "What's up? You look all dolled."

I took a deep breath, the air flowing back out heavily. "I have that charity game I was telling you about tonight, but Ri isn't here to do my liner, and I don't know what to do." I dropped my head, my hands wrapping around the back of my neck, massaging out the tension at the nape. "I know she told me to learn how to do it myself, but I didn't think I would ever really have to!"

An amused chuckle exited Hannah before she said, "That's the most spoiled thing I've ever heard you say." She gently shook her head, a sole strand of blonde hair falling in front of her face. "I can walk you through it, lovely, but I don't know how well it'll work."

"'Don't know how well it'll work?' Han, you're a makeup artist!"

"Yeah, and when I teach my clients how to do eyeliner, it's usually in person," she countered, a single darkened eyebrow shifting from its straight shape to an arched one. "How much time do you have? Because you might honestly mess it up a couple of times."

I picked up my phone and checked the time, my eyes bulging. "I have ten minutes before I have to leave to go get Malcolm. Think you can explain in that time?" I frantically rummaged through my makeup bag to find my eyeliner as I awaited her answer.

"It wouldn't hurt to try," Hannah responded halfheartedly with a sigh.

I pulled up in front of Malcolm's house and gathered my phone and keys in my hands. The door opened up for me and I thanked the driver, Liam, before telling him that I shouldn't be any more than ten minutes. I grabbed hold of the two flaps of the faded blue denim jacket I picked out last minute and pulled them together. It was my futile attempt to protect my exposed midriff from the cold winds.

Before I could reach the front door, it swung open. It revealed a silhouette, one I could only assume to be Malcolm, his head almost connecting with the top of the doorframe.

"Hey, Miss Kiara." Malcolm was clad in a simple gray Puma tracksuit, his matching Puma duffle bag resting on his shoulder. "I hope this outfit is okay, and if it's not, I told you not to let me pick my own outfit."

"Hey, Malcolm," I greeted back once I made it to the doorstep. "And nah, you're golden, kid. This is what you usually wear on your way to a game?" His head nodded. "Then, yup, you're perfect."