e i g h t e e n

It was nearing nine in the morning when the massive gates guarding my parents' home against the rest of the world came into my view. I sighed, glad that my trek through the snow was nearing its end.

I really needed to think about investing in a car.

I hiked my bag further up my shoulder and settled my wool jacket into place before I continued walking towards my childhood home.

Once inside, I was greeted by a sweeping staircase, garland twirling around the handrail and spiraling upwards along with the stairs. I kicked off my shoes before stepping further into the foyer and past the stairs. The sweet and refreshing smell of pine wafted to my nose as I entered the living area. I took notice of the Christmas tree in front of me, its peak reaching the impossibly high ceiling.

Red and gold ribbon wrapped from the base of the tree to the top an impressive three times. Silver, gold, and red spherical ornaments of multiple sizes covered almost the green needles' entirety. The sleek gold and silver balls shone against the muted lighting dropping down from the ceiling. Simultaneously, the red ornaments with glittery surfaces refracted the light in all different ways. In the scarce space that was left, twinkling lights shone through all the other decorations.

"Wow, y'all really went all out on the tree this year," I called as I began towards the kitchen, knowing I could find the whole family gathered as they waited for everyone to arrive.

"I'm here this year, so it couldn't be less than extravagant," Heaven said as I entered her line of vision. "And Merry Christmas, Ara."

"Merry Christmas, Venna," I responded with a small roll of my eyes at her comment. "And Merry Christmas to y'all, too." I greeted my parents with kisses on the cheeks, bear hugs being substituted for my younger siblings.

"Merry Christmas, Baby," Mama said as I settled in my seat. "Darius and Trayvion insisted that we get the biggest tree on the whole lot, and you know your father couldn't hold his ground against those two."

"Y'all two and your tag teaming." I clucked my tongue at the two teenagers sitting across from me, a dimpled smile gracing Trayvion's face while Darius sheepishly looked down.

"You act like you and Michael were much better," Pops cut in with a knowing tone of voice.

"Yeah," Trayvion backed. "Where you think we learned it from?" His smile turned into a sweet one, his closed lips stretching wide.

I let a moment pass before I said, "I have no idea what y'all are talking about."

"Even I was annoyed by you and Michael," Heaven agreed. "And I didn't have to parent y'all. I always did wonder how Ma and Pops did it," she recounted wistfully.

"When is Michael gonna get here?" Jevon questioned with an emphasis on 'is.' "I'm tryna open these presents so I can play this new game that Ki got me."

"And what new game did Ki get you?" I raised an eyebrow in question.

"Dunno. But I will once I open your present." A nonchalant shrug followed.

"Ain't nobody get you a game, Von," I denied. I turned my back to him playfully and waved a dismissive hand over my shoulder.

"Aight, Ki. If you wanna sit here and act like you don't get me a new game every Christmas, then I can roll with it."

"And if you wanna sit here and act like you don't beg me for these new games every Christmas, I can roll with that, too." I turned back to face my kid brother and placed an elbow on the countertop, my chin coming to rest on my fist. Jevon only sucked his teeth before asking once again where Michael was.